[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] flow control on terminal server

rfadler@uswnvg.UUCP (Richard Fadler) (03/27/91)

In the documentation for our terminal server it describes how it can perform
hardware flow control on the receiving side but does not say if it will
originate hardware flow control (which of course is what we are interested in).

We would like to use this configuration to collect operational data from
remote devices that support rs232 interfaces and require that the connection
be extremely reliable.

Does anyone have any information or practical experience with this
configuration?

poorman@convex.com (Peter W. Poorman) (03/27/91)

In <711@uswnvg.UUCP> rfadler@uswnvg.UUCP (Richard Fadler) writes:

>In the documentation for our terminal server it describes how it can perform
>hardware flow control on the receiving side but does not say if it will
>originate hardware flow control (which of course is what we are interested in).

I once called CISCO tech support with this very question.  The answer I got
was that the CISCO terminal servers do not have a capability for hardware
flow control of data input to the CISCO.  (Even though the software will let
you configure a line for "flowcontrol hardware in".)

My application was data-compressing modems. I finally just wired the modem's
flow control input to the CISCO DTR output, and quit worrying about it.  (Most
of the use is just people typing in to terminals anyhow -- the output side
was my major concern.)  For your application, this probably won't be an
acceptable solution.

--Pete Poorman
  poorman@convex.com