[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Get 8.2

kla@kampi.hut.fi (Kimmo Laaksonen) (03/25/91)

We got a bunch (4) of STS-10x's early this year. They were our first
cisco terminal servers. Initially I couldn't get any reasonable
configuration on them. (We need modem control (RI-is-CD) and autobaud
because all lines come through a terminal exchange (port selector).)
That turned out to be because of a buggy version 8.1 software in
the ROMs. The local cisco rep here supplied us quickly with new ROMs
8.2(1), and for a while things looked brighter.

However, I started receiving weird complaints from our users, like
character structure is no parity, 7 DATABITS, 1 stop on some line. To
my astonishment this turned out to be true. Also I ran into memory
exhaustion: if I said 'show conf' or 'write term', the server would
respond with "No memory available" or something like that. Rebooting
the server set the configuration back to normal again, but soon (in a
few days) memory would be exhausted again.

I FTP'd the new version 8.2(2) from ftp.cisco.com, netbooted that
on the servers, and now they've been running smoothly for a couple
of weeks. Although I've seen memory exhaustion again, but it seems
to have vanished later automagically. The release notes mention two
bug fixes in 8.2(2) pertaining to our problems: lines not getting reset
to default configuration after exit (maybe somebody played with parity
& databits on that line with 7 databits), and memory management problems
(in STS-10x's). Anyway, if you're having problems with 8.2(1), I suggest
you get 8.2(2) and try that.
  Kimmo Laaksonen                       Internet: kla@hut.fi
  Helsinki University of Technology     uucp:   ..!mcsun!tut!santra!kla
  Computing Centre                      BITNET: KLA@FINGATE
  Otakaari 1, SF-02150 Espoo,  Finland  phone: int'l 358 0 451 4308

lim@slc6.INS.CWRU.Edu (Hock Koon Lim) (04/03/91)

In article <KLA.91Mar25105116@kampi.hut.fi> kla@kampi.hut.fi (Kimmo Laaksonen) writes:

>I FTP'd the new version 8.2(2) from ftp.cisco.com, netbooted that
>on the servers, and now they've been running smoothly for a couple
>of weeks. Although I've seen memory exhaustion again, but it seems
>to have vanished later automagically. The release notes mention two
>bug fixes in 8.2(2) pertaining to our problems: lines not getting reset
>to default configuration after exit (maybe somebody played with parity
>& databits on that line with 7 databits), and memory management problems
>(in STS-10x's). Anyway, if you're having problems with 8.2(1), I suggest
>you get 8.2(2) and try that.

   I would like to know how you ftp the 8.2 version and update your
server through netbooted.  I understand that software upgrade with
eprom exchange will cost me $500.  It will take some time get it done.
If I can just ftp the image over the net and netbooted the server, it
will save me a  lot of time.  I will be able to stay up-to-date on the
software release too.

--
Hock-Koon Lim, Information Network services
Case Western Reserve University; Cleveland, Ohio, USA  44106