[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] "cisco Classic" software now available

William "Chops" Westfield <BILLW@mathom.cisco.com> (04/03/91)

Recently, it has come to our attention that some cisco customers are
unhappy with our reliability and configurability.  Apparently some
routers and terminal servers stay up so long that their owners feel
badly about turning them off to be upgraded.  In addition, the large
number of features added in each release can be something of a
challange to figure out how to use inn each environment.

cisco is not deaf to such complaints, and we have come up with what
we think is quite an elegant solution...

Announcing:

                          The cisco Classic

Thanks to careful backup and archiving techniques employed at cisco,
we are please to announce the availability of cisco router and
terminal server software, version 5.1.

Protocols supported are:

	- IP
	- ChaosNet packet forwarding based on IP routing tables.
	- PUP

Routing protocols supported:

	- IGRP
	- GWINFO
	- EGP

Hardware supported:

	- CSC/1 processor (or SUN/1 w 1M of memory)
	- 3Com ethernet interface
	- Interlan ethernet interface
	- SBE "slow" serial interface running
	- ACC 1822 interface

[Note: cisco no longers sells any of this hardware.  Some may still be
 available from other vendors, or can be found in "surplus" stores...]

Other features:

Contains NO network managment protocols.  YOU get to manage the network
the way YOU want to (can help ensure job security).

It WILL crash at least once a month.  (more job security)

NO support for X.25 - this can be considered a cost-saving approach.  You
don't have to pay for features you don't use.

No support for high speed networking - encourage efficient use of
networking resources.  56kbps is as fast a remote link as the SBE
interface will handle, and the PPS rating (1000 pps for short bursts)
will make carefull tuning of other networking protocols necessary.

Bill Westfield
cisco Systems.
-------

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (04/03/91)

In article <33875@boulder.Colorado.EDU> William "Chops" Westfield <BILLW@mathom.cisco.com> writes:
>Recently, it has come to our attention that some cisco customers are
>unhappy with our reliability and configurability.  Apparently some
>routers and terminal servers stay up so long that their owners feel
>badly about turning them off to be upgraded.  In addition, the large
>number of features added in each release can be something of a
>challange to figure out how to use inn each environment.

Great piece, should have come out two days earlier :-)
(I can always find something to complain about :-)

-- Walt

In article <33875@boulder.Colorado.EDU> William "Chops" Westfield <BILLW@mathom.cisco.com> writes:
>Announcing:
>                          The cisco Classic

Sounds like the perfect router for ULSNET (see RFCs 1216 and 1217)!  How
well will it perform at .01 uGbps?

Is this for real, or is it just a belated April Fools Day posting?
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

clyde@emx.utexas.edu (Clyde W. Hoover) (04/05/91)

So how is the "cisco Classic" any different than what Cisco is shipping
already? :-)

Clyde Hoover (Shouter-To-Dead-Parrots)	|
UNIX/VMS Services			| "Forward my mail to the corner
Compuatation Center, UT Austin 		|  of Pork and Beans"
clyde@emx.utexas.edu			|