[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] escape-character selection

XDAR@BOGECNVE.BITNET (03/16/91)

We are installing several cisco terminal servers and were wondering what
other sites selected as their escape-character.  We are considering using
either the default CONTROL-^ or no escape-character.  Using the default
character allows you to use the special commands like Abort Output and
Are You There?.  If you use no escape-character you get the convenience
of just pressing the BREAK key, but then the special commands are not
available.  Are there other characters we should consider?  What character
do you use?  What are your experiences using the character your site
selected?

      Thank you for your time and help,

      Dan Romano
      Communications Network Manager
      Educational Computing Network
      xdar@ve.bogecn.edu

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (03/19/91)

> From: XDAR@BOGECNVE.BITNET
> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.sys.cisco
> Subject: escape-character selection
> Date: 16 Mar 91 05:47:56 GMT
>
> We are installing several cisco terminal servers and were wondering what
> other sites selected as their escape-character.

	The only thing that satisfies emacs users is no escape (ie,
BREAK) to get back to the terminal server command interpreter.

	--Kent

ercm20@castle.ed.ac.uk (Sam Wilson) (03/19/91)

In article <33356@boulder.Colorado.EDU> XDAR@BOGECNVE.BITNET writes:
>We are installing several cisco terminal servers and were wondering what
>other sites selected as their escape-character.  We are considering using
>either the default CONTROL-^ or no escape-character. . . .

I've tried to use other characters since my Mac running NCSA Telnet
won't generate the ^^ character.  Unfortunately trying to change the
escape character seems simply to switch it off.  We're running 8.1(25).
Anyone know if it's a bug or a feature?

Sam Wilson
Network Services, Edinburgh University Computing Service, Scotland, UK

William "Chops" Westfield <BILLW@mathom.cisco.com> (03/19/91)

    We are installing several cisco terminal servers and were wondering
    what other sites selected as their escape-character.  We are
    considering using either the default CONTROL-^ or no escape-character.
    Using the default character allows you to use the special commands
    like Abort Output and Are You There?.  If you use no escape-character
    you get the convenience of just pressing the BREAK key, but then the
    special commands are not available.  Are there other characters we
    should consider?  What character do you use?  What are your
    experiences using the character your site selected?

It shouldn't be any surprise that at cisco we use mostly the default
control-^ as the escape character.  This is essentially the "character-
least-likely-to-be-needed-by-emacs", and it in any case usually so
awkward to type that the addition effort to type it twice is minimal.

On the other hand, the various telnet commands are very rarely used,
so setting up BREAK as the escape character isn't likely to cause many
problems either.

And in emergencies, each user can change the escape character to
whatever they like for the duration of their session...

Bill Westfield
cisco Systems.
-------

hercules@ssdc.honeywell.com (Ellsworth Hercules) (04/06/91)

We use the control shift and six in combination for our terminal servers.
It seems not to conflict with many applications control char.

       -Herc