[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Password query...

rcower@netman.intel.com (Richard Cower) (04/24/91)

We've recently had this issue surface and are wondering how others have
handled it. How do you handle password generation and distribution for
a large number of geographically distributed routers that are to be
co-managed by a central authority and a local person? I'm assuming
someone has been down this path before....

Please send any replies, comments to rcower@netman.intel.com.

thanks...rich cower, intel, 916-351-6865

asteiner@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Albert Steiner) (04/25/91)

In article <34469@boulder.Colorado.EDU> rcower@netman.intel.com (Richard
Cower) writes:
> How do you handle password generation and distribution for
> a large number of geographically distributed routers that are to be
> co-managed by a central authority and a local person?
We use access lists to restrict where control can be done.  Then the
problem of passwords is diminished.  It is still a problem, because a
number of people must access each machine.

asteiner@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Albert Steiner, Academic Computing and Networking,
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208
708-491-4056

despond@sicsun.epfl.ch (Yves Despond EPFL-SIC/STI) (04/25/91)

We have made a program which runs on a SUN. This program is able to
change automaticaly the password for each of our CISCOs.

Yves Despond
Swiss Federal institute of technology
Lausanne
Switzerland