[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Routing IPX Packet Drivers

quinn@mgr.hjf.org (Kevin Quinn) (03/08/91)

Greetings,

We are interested in running some sort of file server without losing the ability to telnet.  NFS is what we do now but the security and management is lacking.  Novell Netware 286 offers the packet drivers to do IPX and TCP simultaniously.  To use the pack
et drivers you need to configure Netware to use packet type 8137.  I have used cisco's to route regular IPX but am wondering if they will route the 8137 packets, or if it has no effect on routing.  Also any comments on packet drivers in general would be g
reat. (I know, I know, wrong bboard)

Thanks in advance...

Kevin Quinn
quinn@mgr.hjf.org

johnm@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (03/12/91)

In article <33082@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, quinn@mgr.hjf.org (Kevin Quinn) writes:
> ... Novell Netware 286 offers the packet drivers to do IPX and TCP
>simultaniously.  To use the packet drivers you need to configure Netware
>to use packet type 8137.

A common mis-conception, but false.  Use version 7 (or the soon to be
released version 9) Clarkson Packet Drivers with the -n option.

> ... Also any comments on packet drivers in general would be great.

We like Packet Drivers because they localize the interface card-specific
networking code.  Having setup parameters on the command line of
Clarkson Packet Drivers is very handy.  We use the multiple protocol /
multiple encapsulation capability to remote-boot using IPX/802.3
hundreds of PCs which can then also use IP/Bluebook to communicate with
host computers.

	John
--
John Mann, Leader - Networking Section  | johnm@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Computer Centre, Monash University      | phone: +61 3 565 4774

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (05/12/91)

In article <33082@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, quinn@mgr.hjf.org (Kevin Quinn) writes:
> Greetings,
>
> We are interested in running some sort of file server without losing the ability to telnet.  NFS is what we do now but the security and management is lacking.  Novell Netware 286 offers the packet drivers to do IPX and TCP simultaniously.  To use the pack
> et drivers you need to configure Netware to use packet type 8137.  I have used cisco's to route regular IPX but am wondering if they will route the 8137 packets, or if it has no effect on routing.  Also any comments on packet drivers in general would be g
> reat. (I know, I know, wrong bboard)
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Kevin Quinn
> quinn@mgr.hjf.org

You haven't needed to use 8137 type packets for some time now (about a year)
The current version of packet drivers (and all since version 7) support the
standard IEEE 802.3 length field in the type field.

|  Hamish Marson   <h.marson@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|  University of Waikato                                                     |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |