[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] What about ground loops?

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (05/13/91)

  Something struck me when I was wiring the console ports of a set of
machines to a terminal server:  why was I connecting the terminal server
via optoisolators?
  Rooms full of terminals are exactley as likely to cause ground-loops as
rooms full of cpu's...  would not terminal servers have ground-loop
protection already?

  Can someone confirm or deny this, so I can avoid spending money and
laying glass-fibre all over my machine room.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA | lethe!dave
72 Abitibi Ave.,      |

bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (05/14/91)

>   Something struck me when I was wiring the console ports of a set of
> machines to a terminal server:  why was I connecting the terminal server
> via optoisolators?

DEC does push their credibility gap a bit wider with their VCS recomendations.

They are giving you a configuration that is supposed to be VERY conservative
and safe and reliable. Needlessly so as you have noticed. Many have safely
ignored their suggestions. Many have found that their fiber got knocked
about too much and IT proved to be a very weak link when it BREAKS.

If you are in an environment where ground potential is SO different
between say another cluster on the other side of your arc furnace in your
steel mill and where you are, use fiber for your ENET, and stick the remote
console ports on a terminal server over at the other cluster. Don't use fiber
for console ports themselves, especially in a typical computer room or average
building. Just ignore DEC.

kla@kampi.hut.fi (Kimmo Laaksonen) (05/14/91)

In article <22713@yunexus.YorkU.CA> davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) writes:
>   Something struck me when I was wiring the console ports of a set of
> machines to a terminal server:  why was I connecting the terminal server
> via optoisolators?
>   Rooms full of terminals are exactley as likely to cause ground-loops as
> rooms full of cpu's...  would not terminal servers have ground-loop
> protection already?

No, the way RS232 is defined and implented you'll have the SIGNAL
grounds tied together at whatever box (terminal server, port selector
&c) you connect your devices to. However, that's not the real reason
for ground loops. If the signal grounds were all "floating", the box
signal ground could be connected to a proper (external) ground, and
you'd have a single common ground, which is the proper way.
Unfortunately in the power supplies the signal ground of a device is
usually tied to the chassis (cabinet), which is tied to the PROTECTIVE
ground. So each device, including the common box, has its own external
ground. The ground loops commencing depend on how "close" the external
grounds are to each other.

In general I wouldn't worry about devices in a computer room, if the
power wiring is properly done with a good, separate, protective ground
from a single grounding point to all devices. A mix of power feeds
from different phases may cause some ground loops, because the phases
are usually not evenly loaded, but proper protective grounding should
eliminate most of that. You can probably hire a company to check your
power feeds (balance of load between phases, the quality of
grounding). Ours was checked by a company selling UPS'es with a rebate
if we chose their product (which we did).

However, when connecting widely distributed terminals to a terminal
server, ground loops are likely to occur. A simple rule is that the
further away the terminals are from each other (different floors or
wings of a building, and - heaven forbid - in separate buildings
altogether), the more likely ground loops are, because the power feeds
will come from sources "groundingwise" further apart.  On the other
hand, a room full of terminals with a terminal server, is not likely
to have ground loops, since very probably the power feed comes from a
common source, and all devices are groundingwise very close to each
other. A guide book from a Finnish company selling terminal servers
suggests that separate "data processing" power feeds with clearly
marked outlets should be installed in new office buildings with one
common DP power feed for about 10 - 20 rooms (and their terminal
server and other common devices like a shared printer).

Another note: in old power wiring the protective ground may be "faked"
by connecting it (at some point along the power wiring) to the power
return ("zero") wire. Such a ground is constantly floating with
respect to a proper ground, depending on the load of the power feed.
Tens of volts, sometimes even hazardous levels, will exist between,
say, a chassis and a radiator (which is grounded through the
plumbing). Beware of the shock! I've also seen thin Ethernet segments
utterly unusable, when a T-connector in a PC was in contact with the
chassis. The Ethernet was properly grounded at one end, but the PC's
power came from a fake grounded outlet!
  Kimmo Laaksonen                       Internet: kla@hut.fi
  Helsinki University of Technology     uucp:   ..!mcsun!tut!santra!kla
  Computing Centre                      BITNET: KLA@FINGATE
  Otakaari 1, SF-02150 Espoo,  Finland  phone: int'l 358 0 451 4308