[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Can CISCO pass broadcast ??

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (05/15/91)

 PROBLEM : We have an extended Campus LAN, both Token-Ring and Ethernet
   our problem are the broadcast ( BOOTP most of them ) passing from
   Token-Ring to Ethernet.

 All this is for remote configuration of NeXT's computers, NeXT sends
  a broadcast BOOTP to got information of the net, but CISCO don't pass
  broadcast ( 255.255.255.255 ), so I want to know if it is posible to
  configurate it to pass broadcasts

 Thanks

Jose A. Vela A.

In article <3370@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) writes:
> All this is for remote configuration of NeXT's computers, NeXT sends
>  a broadcast BOOTP to got information of the net, but CISCO don't pass
>  broadcast ( 255.255.255.255 ), so I want to know if it is posible to
>  configurate it to pass broadcasts

Yes, it can.  See the "helper-address" configuration command.  When a
broadcast to one of a specified set of protocols is received, it is
forwarded to the address specified in this command.

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar