[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Can CISCO pass broadcast ?? yes it can.

snms4@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (05/15/91)

In article <3370@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx>, josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) writes:
>  PROBLEM : We have an extended Campus LAN, both Token-Ring and Ethernet
>    our problem are the broadcast ( BOOTP most of them ) passing from
>    Token-Ring to Ethernet.
>  All this is for remote configuration of NeXT's computers, NeXT sends
>   a broadcast BOOTP to got information of the net, but CISCO don't pass
>   broadcast ( 255.255.255.255 ), so I want to know if it is posible to
>   configurate it to pass broadcasts
>  Thanks
> Jose A. Vela A.
> josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx
>-=> ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

         BOOTP uses UDP broadcasts.  You can pass these broadcasts to
         the interface where your BootP server resides by giving the
         interface configuration command IP HELPER-ADDRESS n.n.n.n
         where n.n.n.n is a broadcast address to the IP subnet where
         your BootP server is.  I think you could get away with using
         the specific address of the server, but it makes sense to
         have a backup server on the same subnet in case your primary
         server goes down.  If you have to go to the backup, you won't
         need to reconfigure your routers.

         for instance, on one of our routers, I put the following
         config command on ALL interfaces except the one pointing to
         our 129.120.1.0 subnet:

         ip helper-address 129.120.1.255

         There are ways to limit the UDP Broadcast forwards to BootP,
         but I'm sure you get the general idea.

         -Kevin Mullet
          Network and Microcomputer Services,
          University of North Texas