[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] DECnet and IPX routing in the presence of a TR interface?

eriks@elsbeth.yorku.ca (Eriks Rugelis) (05/14/91)

Hi,

I'm posting this question here because I expect that the answer may be of
interest to a wider audience...

I have an AGS/3 that has a number of MCI Ethernets and a 4 Mb Token-Ring card.
All of the Ethernets and the Token-Ring are configured to route IP.  The
Ethernets are also configured to route DECnet.

I would like to experiment with IPX routing between one of the Ether interfaces
and the Token-Ring.  However, the AGS complains (and the manual confirms) that
DECnet and IPX routing cannot operate in the same crate while a Token-Ring
interface is present.

My questions are:
  - Why is this so?  I'm not trying [wouldn't even think! :-)] to route DECnet
    on the TR...  so why the tie-in?

  - Is this restriction expected to be lifted in a forseeable future release
    of the cisco software?  If so, when?

Thanks,
Eriks

Eriks Rugelis <eriks@elsbeth.yorku.ca> (05/14/91)

I wrote:
>  However, the AGS complains (and the manual confirms) that
>DECnet and IPX routing cannot operate in the same crate while a Token-Ring
>interface is present.

I neglected to mention that the router in question is running 8.1(21).  I've
had a couple of replies that indicate that 8.2(3) resolves this issue (indeed,
one of the respondents says that he has this configuration running right now).

Apparently this is covered in the GS 8.2(3) release notes (I only have 8.2(1)
delivered and have never installed it).

Thanks to those that replied.

Eriks

"Roger Fajman" <RAF@CU.NIH.GOV> (05/14/91)

> >  However, the AGS complains (and the manual confirms) that
> >DECnet and IPX routing cannot operate in the same crate while a Token-Ring
> >interface is present.
>
> I neglected to mention that the router in question is running 8.1(21).  I've
> had a couple of replies that indicate that 8.2(3) resolves this issue (indeed,
> one of the respondents says that he has this configuration running right now).
>
> Apparently this is covered in the GS 8.2(3) release notes (I only have 8.2(1)
> delivered and have never installed it).

We tried to do this for XNS and DECnet in a box with a token ring,
using 8.2(1).  When DECnet was enabled, XNS stopped working on the
token ring.  Cisco has not been very responsive to our problem report.

There does seem to be some ambiguity.  The XNS routing command allows a
MAC address to be specified, but it is unclear what the bit order is
when both Ethernet and token ring are present.

I would be interested in hearing from someone who has run XNS, DECnet,
token ring, and Ethernet in one router.

Nick Thille <thille@cisco.com> (05/14/91)

Eriks,

> - Why is this so?  I'm not trying [wouldn't even think! :-)] to route DECnet
>   on the TR...  so why the tie-in?

      There was some conflict between the first part of the DECnet
address (It needs to look like a DEC hardware address) and the token
ring broadcast address.  This is because DECnet demands that the
address begin with AA00.  The binary for the first two bytes is
10101010.  Ethernet sends least significant bit first.  The first bit
to hit the wire is 0, indicating not a broadcast.  The second bit to
hit the wire is 1, indicating it is a locally administered address.
When you send the same address on token ring, it is sent most
significant bit first.  The first bit to hit the wire is 1, indicating
a broadcast.  The second is 0, indicating that it is not a locally
administered address.  As you can see, this doesn't work too well.  One
can get sneaky and set the addresses for the token ring interfaces and
ethernet interfaces differently so that you won't get bit my this problem,
but if you want to route IPX or XNS, all addresses on the router need to
be the same.  This is where the rub comes in.  In release 8.2, cisco
came up with a work-around by swapping the bits in the DECnet address on
Token Ring.  Rather than get too bogged down in the technical details,
I will attach a note describing the changes.

> - Is this restriction expected to be lifted in a forseeable future release
>   of the cisco software?  If so, when?

The restriction is lifted in the currently shipping release, 8.2(3), and
was lifted in release 8.2(1) which began shipping in December.

Hope this help,

Nick Thille
Customer Engineering
cisco Systems

Excerpted from technical notes for 8.2 release:

			 DECNET on Token Ring

Prior to this release, DECNET was not supported across Token Ring media.
With this release, DECNET Phase IV/ Phase V routing is fully supported
between cisco routers.  In addition, DECNET communication can take
place between a cisco router routing DECNET traffic and a Token Ring
node that meets certain criteria.

Configuring the cisco for DECNET IV on Token Ring is very similar to
configuring DECNET IV on Ethernet.  The only difference is the specification
of a token ring interface rather than an ethernet.  Below is an example
of a Token Ring configuration:

	decnet routing 10.4
	interface tokenring 0
	decnet cost 10
	interface tokenring 1
	decnet cost 10

The DECNET Address Translation Gateway is also fully supported.

Interoperability Implementation Details

The cisco Token Ring DECNET implementation will interoperate not only with
cisco routers but other Token Ring DECNET nodes if certain criteria are
met.  These criteria must be explicitly mentioned because there is not an
agreed upon standard for DECNET IV on Token Ring.  DECNET V follows
various ISO-OSI standards and should interoperate without any special
constraints.

DECNET IV requires that certain MAC level addresses be used before
communication can take place.  Below are the MAC addresses that the cisco
DECNET IV on Token Ring implementation uses.  Any non-cisco implementation
that conforms to these criteria will be able to communicate via the cisco
Token Ring DECNET IV implementation.

Implementation details:

1) Canonical (IEEE 802.1a) addresses in non-MAC layers.  When a DECnet
   node uses a MAC address in a layer above the MAC layer it must be
   represented in Ethernet (IEEE 802.1a canonical) storage order.  An
   example of such a packet is the HELLO packet.

2) Individual DECNET Node MAC addresses on Token Ring are of the form

	5500.2000.abcd (native token ring)

   where 'abcd' is the Token Ring representation of the 'area.node'
   assigned to the host.  It is the bitswapped representation used
   by an Ethernet.  ie.  If the area, node for a host were 10.18.  The
   corresponding Ethernet MAC address would be AA00.0400.1228.  The
   same node on Token Ring would be 5500.2000.4814 (native).

3) End Node Multicast address is assigned to the Token Ring functional
   address C000.2000.0000 (native).

4) Router Multicast address is assigned to the Token Ring functional
   address C000.4000.0000 (native).

			DECNET/XNS/Novell Split

In previous releases it was not possible to run DECnet IV and any of
the XNS varients simultaneously in a router that included both
Ethenet and Token Ring interfaces.  This restriction has now been
removed.

** There are no changes to the syntax of any configuration commands. **

The current implementation has the following characteristics:

XNS implementation:

When "XNS routing" is enabled, all ethernet interfaces have their MAC
addresses changed.  The value used is either the ethernet address
specified in the XNS routing configuration command or the first
Ethernet address in the system.

The address selected in the above sequence is also used as the node
address that non-LAN media (noteably serial links) use for their XNS
node addresses.  If there are no Ethernets in the system, then the
xns routing configuration command requires the ethernet address
to be specified.  This address is then used as the "default" xns
node address used for non-LAN nodes.

The ethernet addresses are changed to one value to remain compatible
with the XNS specification.  True XNS networks assume that this is
true.

Non-Ethernet LAN media (FDDI, Token-Ring), use the native hardware
address assigned without modification.  This allows coexistence
with other protocols that have constraints on what addresses can
be assigned (such as DECnet IV).

Novell Netware (IPX) implementation:

The cisco IPX implementation no long coerces addresses on network
interfaces in any way.  An interface takes as its Novell node address
whatever hardware MAC address is currently assigned to the interface.
If later the MAC address is coerced to some other value, the Novell
node address will automatically change to the new address.

Like the XNS implementation, the address parameter to the "novell
routing" configuration command establishes the "default" novell node
address.  This address is used as the novell node address for any
non-LAN interfaces (such as serial links).

ralls@cisco.com (05/14/91)

Roger,

I'm very sorry if you feel that cisco has over looked your problem.
8.2(1) had many problems, in general we suggest that customers upgrade
to 8.2(3) if they encounter difficulties with 8.2(1). I'm sorry
that this was not mentioned when you talked to customer support.

I will be looking into this problem with XNS/DECnet and token ring,
and trying to reproduce the problem here in our lab with 8.2(3). Could you
answer a few questions to help me track this down?

What exactly happens when XNS stops working? Have you turned on XNS debugging
to see if there are any errors, if packets are still getting though. Have
you checked "show traffic" to see if there are any obvious problems. Have you
tried turning off fastswitching for DECnet and XNS to see if that makes any
differnace. If you turn DECnet back off does XNS start working again?

Thanks for your help and patience,

vicki

ralls@cisco.com (05/14/91)

Actually yes, there is a problem in 8.2(1) fixed in 8.2(3) that might
cause exactly the behavoiur that you are seeing. Is is caused by
checking addresses a little to restrictively. As a result valid
packets would not get though. If you see a number of "multicasts" in
the "show xns traffic" then you are probebly seeing this problem.

If you do, you should upgrade to 8.2(3).

I'll let you know how I do with reproducing the problem here.

-vicki

JOHN@heap.cisco.com (John Wright) (05/24/91)

>We tried to do this for XNS and DECnet in a box with a token ring,
>using 8.2(1).  When DECnet was enabled, XNS stopped working on the
>token ring.  Cisco has not been very responsive to our problem report.
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would like to publicly apologize for the handling you have received,
it was in a large part my responsibility. I'm Sorry. cisco endeavors
to provide the best products and support in the industry, and we are
taking steps to see that our support remains at the high level the
majority of our customer have become accustomed with. I see others
from cisco have been in contact with you regarding this particular
problem. I hope that we will be able to resolve this and any other
issues in a more timely fashion.

Sincerest Apologies,
John Wright
Customer Engineering Analyst