[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Load Balancing

Hank Nussbacher <HANK@VM.BIU.AC.IL> (05/28/91)

>Subject: Load Balancing between Equal Cost Routes
>
>If two serial links terminate at a the same cisco router at one end and to
>the same node at the other end, will a cisco router recognise that there
>are multiple equal cost routes to that node, and places beyond?
>Can it be made to distribute transmitted packets between the two links?
>What algorithm does it use?
>Is any inter-router protocol required to be supported by the other node?
>
>Protocols of interest are PPP, TCP/IP, etc.

It all depends what you are routing and also whether you are bridging.
If you are routing TCPIP traffic it depends on what routing protocol
is being used.  RIP will not load balance, but IGRP will do a reasonable
job of balancing the load on the two lines.  If you are routing
DECNET via Phase IV you will not be using one line at all and it will
be more or less a hot standby.  If the cost is the same on both lines
the DECNET routing protocol will still only use one line.  Phase V will
load balance between the two lines.

If you are bridging, then the cisco splits the load based on Ethernet
addresses.  It assigns some Ethernet addresses to one line and some
to another line.  This does a reasonable job of utilizing both lines.
But if you have only one Ethernet station at the end of your two lines
then the cisco will only utilize one of the two lines since it can't
split the load among more Ethernet addresses.

>Thanks,
>-Tim.

Hank Nussbacher
Israel

timr@labtam.labtam.oz (Tim Roper) (05/29/91)

In article <35406@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, HANK@VM.BIU.AC.IL (Hank Nussbacher) writes:
> >Subject: Load Balancing between Equal Cost Routes
> >
> >If two serial links terminate at a the same cisco router at one end and to
> >the same node at the other end, will a cisco router recognise that there
> >are multiple equal cost routes to that node, and places beyond?
>
> It all depends what you are routing and also whether you are bridging.
> If you are routing TCPIP traffic it depends on what routing protocol
> is being used.  RIP will not load balance, but IGRP will do a reasonable
> job of balancing the load on the two lines.  If you are routing
> DECNET via Phase IV you will not be using one line at all and it will

We are routing TCP/IP only and not bridging.

Can anyone recommend sources of the specification of IGRP and/or sample
implementations?

Thanks,
-Tim.

ferriby@perot.com (John Ferriby) (05/30/91)

In article <10613@labtam.labtam.oz>, timr@labtam.labtam.oz (Tim Roper) writes:
> In article <35406@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, HANK@VM.BIU.AC.IL (Hank Nussbacher) writes:
>> >Subject: Load Balancing between Equal Cost Routes
>> >
>> >If two serial links terminate at a the same cisco router at one end and to
>> >the same node at the other end, will a cisco router recognise that there
>> >are multiple equal cost routes to that node, and places beyond?
>>
>> It all depends what you are routing and also whether you are bridging.
>> If you are routing TCPIP traffic it depends on what routing protocol
>> is being used.  RIP will not load balance, but IGRP will do a reasonable
>> job of balancing the load on the two lines.  If you are routing
>> DECNET via Phase IV you will not be using one line at all and it will

Just to clear up a common misconception...

Unlike what the cisco documentation suggests, (by calling it Phase IV) the
gateway software [8.2(3)] does in fact support path splitting.  (This function
falls under the DEC afterthought, Phase IV+, which among other things supports
path splitting.)  The configuration commands are 'decnet path-split-mode' and
'decnet max-paths'.  I've found that the 'max-paths' tends to get folks who are
experimenting with this -- it is defaulted to a value of 1 in both the DEC and
cisco implementations.  Intuitively, a value of 1 turns path splitting off.
Also make sure that all routers involved are "symetrically configured" or your
load will split in one direction but not the other or do some even weirder
stuff if you have a mesh topology or more than 3 paths. Also of note, the the
'path-split-mode' value 'interim' supports those cases where a Phase IV router
needs to talk to a Phase IV+ router, but I expect that is a relatively rare
condition.

--
John Ferriby

Perot Systems Corporation    Telephone: +1-313-641-3660
4555 Corporate Drive         Internet: ferriby@perot.com
Troy, MI 48098-6353          UUCP: {uunet,decwrl,sun,umich}!perot!ferriby

dug@kd4nc.UUCP (Doug Drye KD4NC) (05/30/91)

timr@labtam.labtam.oz (Tim Roper) writes:

>Can anyone recommend sources of the specification of IGRP and/or sample
>implementations?

Chuck Hedrick's paper on IGRP is available in postscript format
at ftp.cisco.com via anonymous ftp. Fetch the README file for what
is available there..

Doug
--
Doug Drye KD4NC

eden@fallout.uucp (Robert Eden) (05/30/91)

HANK@VM.BIU.AC.IL (Hank Nussbacher) writes:
> If you are routing
> DECNET via Phase IV you will not be using one line at all and it will
> be more or less a hot standby.  If the cost is the same on both lines
> the DECNET routing protocol will still only use one line.  Phase V will
> load balance between the two lines.

PHASE IV+ shipped with VMS 5.0 and some of the new routers support
equal cost balancing.  It is off by default and must be turned on with the
PATH_SPLIT exec parameter.  I'm not sure if the CISCO DECNET implementation
supports this.

Robert Eden    817-897-0491                             EDEN@fallout.uucp
Commanche Peak Steam Electric Station                    Glen Rose, TX
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ politicese for a nuke plant