[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] cisco 8.2, Appletalk phase II

Watt-Alan@mickey.ycc.yale.edu (06/05/91)

We're planning the much-dreaded conversion to Appletalk phase II.
Can anyone list the known problems with cisco 8.2 and phase II?
We have some old 1.4 u-code MCI cards and some 1.5 (upgrading
everything to 1.8 is in the plans).

The major question is, can we turn on phase II support using
phase I-compatible addressing and zone assignment?  Will
anything bad happen?  Will anything good happen?

	- Alan S. Watt
	  High Speed Networking, Yale University
	  Computing and Information Systems
	  Box 2112 Yale Station
	  New Haven, CT  06520-2112
	  (203) 432-6600 X394
	  Watt-Alan@Yale.Edu

Disclaimer:  "Make Love, Not War -- Be Prepared For Both"
		- Edelman's Sporting Goods [and Marital Aids?]

robelr@mythos.ucs.indiana.edu (Allen Robel) (06/06/91)

I said:

>Note that this limits the number of devices on the subnet but,
>since we're running IP as well, this didn't matter.  Also,

I really meant that, since all our Macs are assigned an IP
address, this didn't matter since the upper bound for Appletalk
devices on our subnets is the max number of IP hosts (254 for us)

plus any non-IP AppleTalk devices like printers...

allen

robelr@mythos.ucs.indiana.edu (Allen Robel) (06/07/91)

In article <35673@boulder.Colorado.EDU> Watt-Alan@mickey.ycc.yale.edu
writes:

> The major question is, can we turn on phase II support using
> phase I-compatible addressing and zone assignment?  Will
> anything bad happen?  Will anything good happen?

Yes, sort of.  Our numbering plan was devised to distinguish
subnets and campuses and we wanted to keep this scheme when

we moved to Phase II.  To do this with Phase II simply use

the same net number as you used for Phase I as the beginning

and end of the cable-range.  So:

Phase I

int ether 0
apple address 12

becomes

int ether 0
apple cable-range 12-12

Note that this limits the number of devices on the subnet but,
since we're running IP as well, this didn't matter.  Also,
I can't see putting more than 250 devices on the same subnet
anyway unless they're broken up into logical workgroups and
bridged (in our environment this is practically impossible).

Zone name conventions haven't changed but you can now have more
than one zone name per subnet.

We plan to utilize this feature to set up a default zone on all
our subnets called INFO/HELP (or something similar) so that, when
new users bring up their macs, they'll end up there.  We plan
to place a server in that zone with all our support documentation,
version upgrades etc.  In addition to that zone, we'll keep the
old zones we had under Phase I.

That's one idea.  I'm sure there are others.  Anyone want to share
what they're doing in this regard?

Another point.  Wait for 8.2(4) (its almost ready).  David Edwards
did a *complete* rewrite of the ATalk code and I can say without
reservation that it was worth any sweat/grief he went through.
Performace/reliability between it and 8.2(3) are like night and day.

allen