[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] cisco service, my apology

dsroberts@beckman.com (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.161137.10574@sol.acs.unt.edu>, kev@sol.acs.unt.edu (Mullet Kevin Wright) writes:
> This is borderline ridiculous.
>
> 1: In a perfect world, I'll grant that any front-line person working at a
>    service-oriented business should be genteel to even the most crass and
>    obnoxious person calling in.  Meanwhile, however, in the real world, front
>    line support personnel are nearly always underpaid, under trained and over
>    worked.  Personally, I think the burden is on BOTH the customer and the
>    service person to be amiable with each other and try to fulfill their
>    obligations to each other.  From my point of view, the moment Don Roberts
>    switched into rude mode and started doing *anything* that could be
>   interpreted as harrassing the person on the other end of the phone, he
>   got whatever he deserved.  There are no circumstances which preclude civility.

Okay, I admit it, un-civil behaviour is not acceptable under any circumstances
and in my anxiety to resolve the problem I was much more impatient than I
should have been.  The circumstances just appeared too ludicrous to me to stay
rational.  mea culpa.

> 2: I can only speak of my documentation, but it's the May 1990 documentation
>    and it has a complete enough discussion of the TFTP capability on page
>    3-8 in the section entitled: "Automatic Configuration Using Remote Hosts".
>    All the problems I encountered were entirely due to my learning curve on
>    what TFTP required at the host level and what the excentricities of our
>    TFTP daemon were.  None of that kind of stuff is appropriate for a router
>    manual. The Cisco doc *does* state what RFC TFTP is found in and that host
>    requirements tend to vary.  That's enough for me.

Yes, once you find that section it is quite clear.  My problem is that I did
not look up "config" in the index, rather "TFTP".  Nowhere was there a pointer
to this section of the manual and it did not occur to me to try "config".
Again, mea culpa although it seems to me that if TFTP is used by the router for

> 3: I've got a real simple solution to the "drop the phone, run to the router,
>    and copy the serial number again" dilemma: put it in the login screen for
>    the router.  On the banner for each of my routers, I put the network phone

I like this idea.

Alright.  I will say it.  I apologise to cisco for flying off the handle.  I
was rude and obnoxious (which, unfortunately is all too common for me).
However, I don't think I was SO rude that the person on the other end needed to
return it, nor do I think that I was TOTALLY out of line, just more so than I
should have been.

I dunno, maybe I was just mad at myself for being so stupid I needed to call in
the first place. :-)
   Don Roberts                   Internet:  don@beckman.com
   Beckman Instruments, Inc.     Yellnet:   714/961-3029
   2500 Harbor Bl. Mailstop X-12 FAX:       714/961-3351
   Fullerton, CA  92634          Disclaimer:  Always