[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] tftp load problem, sts10

dennisg@kgw1.xetron.COM (Dennis Glatting) (06/11/91)

i have a cisco sts-10 software version 7.1(11)
dated 17-Jul-89.

my problem is that it doesn't seem to read the
boot file via tftp from my sun 3/60.

my sun file system has:
/tftpboot/network-confg
/tftpboot/tserver1-confg

is there a way to verify that the sts10 is indeed
attempting to read files from the sun?  according
to the docs the sts10 should display this information
when it boots but doesn't.

--
 ..!uunet!kgw2!dennisg  | Dennis P. Glatting
 dennisg@Xetron.COM     | so?

a_steiner@nwu.edu (Albert Steiner) (06/12/91)

In article <2185@kgw2.XETRON.COM> dennisg@kgw1.xetron.COM (Dennis
Glatting) writes:
> my problem is that it doesn't seem to read the
> boot file via tftp from my sun 3/60.
Did you set up a BootP or RARP configuration on the SUN, so that the ST10
can get its original IP number?

a_steiner@nwu.edu
Albert Steiner, Academic Computing and Networking,
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208
708-491-4056

todd@Quotron.COM (Todd Booth) (06/14/91)

dennisg@kgw1.xetron.COM (Dennis Glatting) writes:

>i have a cisco sts-10 software version 7.1(11)
>dated 17-Jul-89.

>my problem is that it doesn't seem to read the
>boot file via tftp from my sun 3/60.

>is there a way to verify that the sts10 is indeed
>attempting to read files from the sun?

A good trick that helped me is first verify that tftp works on the
tftp server.  IE. from the server type,
"tftp sun"
"get /tmp/foo /tmp/foo1"
"put /tmp/foo1 /tmp/foo"

When this works, then start playing with the cisco boot, ...

A common mistake is not to enable tftp in /etc/inet.conf
which should read something like the following

tftp    dgram   udp     wait    bin     /etc/tftpd      tftpd

Be sure and wake up inetd to this fact - kill -1 ...

--todd

--
todd (booth)

todd@quotron.com 213 302-4368

prl@iis.ethz.ch (Peter Lamb) (06/14/91)

todd@Quotron.COM (Todd Booth) writes:

>A common mistake is not to enable tftp in /etc/inet.conf
>which should read something like the following

>tftp    dgram   udp     wait    bin     /etc/tftpd      tftpd

>Be sure and wake up inetd to this fact - kill -1 ...

If you are on a machine which is reachable from the Internet, and
don't have shadow password files, this donates /etc/passwd to anyone
who wants it.

On SunOS, a better idea is:
tftp   dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/etc/in.tftpd       in.tftpd -s /tft
pboot

which does a chroot to /tftpboot on startup. Remember that this changes
the client's view of the filesystem.

If your tftp daemon doesn't have this, then you can use the wrapper
program:

#include <stdio.h>

main(argc, argv)
char **argv;
{
	if(argc != 2) {
		fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s directory\n", argv[0]);
		exit(1);
	}
	if(chdir(argv[1]) < 0) {
		perror(argv[1]);
		exit(1);
	}
	if(chroot(".") < 0) {
		perror(argv[1]);
		exit(1);
	}
	execl("/etc/tftpd", "tftpd", 0);
	perror("/etc/tftpd");
	exit(1);
}

Install this as /etc/tftpd.chroot, or similar, copy /etc/tftpd to
/tftpboot/etc/tftpd (remember that the chroot() changes the program's view
of the filesystem), do chmod 700 /tftpboot/etc/tftpd, and use

tftp    dgram   udp     wait    bin     /etc/tftpd.chroot      tftpd /tftpboot

in inetd.conf.

Naturally, you can also use directories other than /tftpboot. Remember
that the directory named will appear to be "/" to any clients.

--
Peter Lamb
uucp:  uunet!mcsun!ethz!prl	eunet: prl@iis.ethz.ch	Tel:   +411 256 5241

BILLW@mathom.cisco.com (WilliamChops Westfield) (06/15/91)

    >i have a cisco sts-10 software version 7.1(11)
    >dated 17-Jul-89.

    >my problem is that it doesn't seem to read the
    >boot file via tftp from my sun 3/60.

Uh, the 7.1 STS10 software doesn't support downloading of config files.
I think this is clearly spelled out in the documentation - due to limited
program space in the STS10, the software is lacking several features.

The STS10x (which replaced the STS10) has more ROM space and DOES support
the standard feature set.  Also, the release 8.2 STS10 software was made
to support netbooting, so that even an STS10 can download 8.2 software
with the full feature set.

(No, it isn't possible to upgrade an STS10 to an STS10x.  Sorry.)

BillW
-------