[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Cisco and Yellow Pages

thissen@pttrnl.nl (06/27/91)

Hello,

Sunday the 23d of June we renumbered all our IP-addresses on our network,
because we have now an class B internet address. We use subnet mask
255.255.252.0.
For (subnet)routing we use the cisco AGS+.

We have a problem with clients and yellow pages servers which are not
on the same subnet. When PC-NFS is started on the PC, the server
doesn't answer and no connection is made. The PC-NFS guide says:
"If both yellow pages and reverse ARP (RARP) are used, the Yellow Pages
server used during the netstart RDR process MUST be on the same subnet
as the PC".
We tried to solve this problem with the configuring of a helper address
in the cisco-router, so UDP broadcasts are forwarded. It didn't work.

The AGS+ has been connected on ethernet with one ethernet interface.
We use secundary addresses for subnetting. Between the ethernet segments
we use bridges.

Does anyone have experience with Yellow Pages servers and clients which are
not on the same subnet ? Or is it really necesary to put both client and
server on the same subnet ?

Thanks in advance,

Laurens Thissen
PTTresearch dr. Neher Labaratory
The Netherlands
email:LJM_Thissen@pttrnl.nl
tel :(xx)31703325064

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.104339.65104@pttrnl.nl> thissen@pttrnl.nl writes:
>We tried to solve this problem with the configuring of a helper address
>in the cisco-router, so UDP broadcasts are forwarded. It didn't work.

The problem is that the helper-address command only forwards a specific
set of UDP port numbers by default, which does not, unfortunately,
include the sunrpc (portmapper) port.  The only solution is to
explicitly list the UDP port numbers to forward to the helper address,
using the "ip forward-protocol" command.  We have something like this:

ip forward-protocol udp 67
ip forward-protocol udp 68
ip forward-protocol udp 69
ip forward-protocol udp 42
ip forward-protocol udp 53
ip forward-protocol udp 37
ip forward-protocol udp 137
ip forward-protocol udp 138
ip forward-protocol udp 49
ip forward-protocol udp 111

It is port 111 (sunrpc) that is missing from the default list of port numbers
for helper addresses, and YP/NIS broadcasts need this port.

--Greg

ercm20@castle.ed.ac.uk (Sam Wilson) (06/28/91)

thissen@pttrnl.nl writes:
> We have a problem with clients and yellow pages servers which are not
> on the same subnet.

I can't argue with Greg's analysis, but we found another way around the
problem, namely to put a YP slave server on the same subnet as the
clients.  The slave can download its maps from the master and the
clients' UDPs can then get to the slave directly.  We aren't doing this
currently - we moved the whole YP/NIS domain into the same subnet - and
we had some problems which may or may not have been related, but it
might be worth trying.

Sam Wilson
Network Services, Edinburgh University Computing Service, Scotland, UK