[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] backplane backbone, routing or bridging?

Watt-Alan@mickey.ycc.yale.edu (06/21/91)

>Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1991 15:45:02 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Steve Hubert <hubert@cac.washington.edu>
>Sender: Steve Hubert <hubert@kamba.cac.washington.edu>
>Subject: backplane backbone, routing or bridging?
>To: cisco@spot.colorado.edu
>
>We are about to connect all N (N ~ 20) of our routers to a single AGS+ in
>order to use the AGS+ backplane as our "backbone subnet".  There will be point
>to point ethernet between each router and the backbone router.  We carry only
>IP traffic over the backbone.  It occurs to us that, instead of assigning a
>subnet number to each of these point to point links, we could use the AGS+ as
>a bridge and use only one subnet number instead of N.  I don't think this has
>anything to do with the normal bridge-vs-router debate.  This would be an N-
>port bridge with a single router attached to each port.  Does anyone have any
>opinions on advantages/disadvantages of the two approaches?  For example, is
>one way faster than the other?  Thanks.
>
>Steve Hubert
>Networks and Distributed Computing, Univ. of Wash., Seattle
>hubert@cac.washington.edu

You may not be able to do this.  You cannot both route and bridge the
same protocol in a cisco chassis, even if you only route on some interfaces
and only bridge on others.  In other words, if you want to route IP in
either the AGS+ chassis, you cannot bridge IP in it.  I wouldn't do it
anyway, as you lose the chance of gathering all that per-protocol
information in the AGS+ (such as IP accounting).  If you want to bridge,
look into getting a genuine multiport bridge (A.K.A. fast packet switch).
This would undoubtedly save you money over the AGS+ if that's all you
plan to do with it.

However you do not have to assign a whole subnet to each point-to-point
ethernet.  You can have a single subnet which is shared by all the
point-to-point ethernets on both ends.  Assuming you subnet a class B
on an 8-bit boundary, and the "point-to-point cloud" is subnet 100,
you could define the subnet mask 255.255.255.252 to allow 6 bits
of "sub-subnet" and 2 bits of "host" (0 is reserved, 3 is broadcast,
1 and 2 are the two endpoints.

		AGS+
	intf	address		Brcast		Router	intf	address
	----	-------		------		------	------	-------
	ether0	XX.YY.100.1 	XX.YY.100.3	AGS 1	ether0	XX.YY.100.2
	ether1	XX.YY.100.5	XX.YY.100.7	AGS 2	ether0	XX.YY.100.6
	ether2	XX.YY.100.9	XX.YY.100.11	AGS 3	ether0	XX.YY.100.10

	ether18	XX.YY.100.77	XX.YY.100.79	AGS 20	ether0	XX.YY.100.78
	ether19	XX.YY.100.81	XX.YY.100.83	AGS 20	ether0	XX.YY.100.83

There you have your 20 ethernet point to point links between the AGS+ and
the 20 other routers, and plenty of address space left in subnet 100 for
more.

	- Alan S. Watt
	  High Speed Networking, Yale University
	  Computing and Information Systems
	  Box 2112 Yale Station
	  New Haven, CT  06520-2112
	  (203) 432-6600 X394
	  Watt-Alan@Yale.Edu

Disclaimer:  "Make Love, Not War -- Be Prepared For Both"
		- Edelman's Sporting Goods [and Marital Aids?]

Watt-Alan@mickey.ycc.yale.edu (06/22/91)

Steve Hubert replied to my posting of 20-Jun-91:

|On Thu, 20 Jun 91 22:11:40 EDT, Watt-Alan@mickey.ycc.yale.edu wrote:
|
|> Subject: Re: backplane backbone, routing or bridging?
|> To: hubert@cac.washington.edu
|> cc: cisco@spot.colorado.edu

|> However you do not have to assign a whole subnet to each point-to-point
|> ethernet.  You can have a single subnet which is shared by all the
|> point-to-point ethernets on both ends.  Assuming you subnet a class B
|> on an 8-bit boundary, and the "point-to-point cloud" is subnet 100,
|> you could define the subnet mask 255.255.255.252 to allow 6 bits
|> of "sub-subnet" and 2 bits of "host" (0 is reserved, 3 is broadcast,
|> 1 and 2 are the two endpoints.
|
|I don't understand how to do this with cisco equipment.  My understanding is
|that the cisco has a single netmask for a network.  How do you get the
|variable length mask idea to work?

I think my fingers ran amok before my mind was properly engaged.  I have
actually never tried this and now that I think about it, it is quite
likely to get you in trouble.  However, I am quite sure that nothing
stops you from getting yourself a new class C network and subnetting
it as described above.  This still saves you from wasting unnecessary
subnets of your class B.

For all that, it may actually work to sub-subnet your class B.  On
a typical BSD system, datagrams would be output on the proper interface,
but the routing protocol daemons might get hopelessly confused.  Perhaps
the same thing would happen on a cisco box (or is it "Cisco box" these
days?).

	- Alan S. Watt
	  High Speed Networking, Yale University
	  Computing and Information Systems
	  Box 2112 Yale Station
	  New Haven, CT  06520-2112
	  (203) 432-6600 X394
	  Watt-Alan@Yale.Edu

Moral:		Think twice, hit <ENTER> once.

Disclaimer:	It is a violation of federal law to use this posting
		in a manner inconsistent with this disclaimer.

equek@hydro.on.ca (Erone Quek) (06/23/91)

>>> Some previous part has been left out.

> However you do not have to assign a whole subnet to each point-to-point
> ethernet.  You can have a single subnet which is shared by all the
> point-to-point ethernets on both ends.  Assuming you subnet a class B
> on an 8-bit boundary, and the "point-to-point cloud" is subnet 100,
> you could define the subnet mask 255.255.255.252 to allow 6 bits
> of "sub-subnet" and 2 bits of "host" (0 is reserved, 3 is broadcast,
> 1 and 2 are the two endpoints.
>

>>> The example/table has been left out.

> There you have your 20 ethernet point to point links between the AGS+ and
> the 20 other routers, and plenty of address space left in subnet 100 for
> more.
>
> 	- Alan S. Watt
> 	  High Speed Networking, Yale University
> 	  Computing and Information Systems
> 	  Box 2112 Yale Station
> 	  New Haven, CT  06520-2112
> 	  (203) 432-6600 X394
> 	  Watt-Alan@Yale.Edu
>

> Disclaimer:  "Make Love, Not War -- Be Prepared For Both"
> 		- Edelman's Sporting Goods [and Marital Aids?]

Alan (& cisco),

I thought one can not has multiple subnet masks across the same
Class B network, i.e. one cannot have 14 bit subnet mask in certain 'part'
of the Class B (in your example: subnet cloud 100) and use 8 bit mask
in other 'part' of the Class B network. I was assured by cisco's customer
engineers that multiple subnet masks within the same class B is something I
DON'T want to get into. As a matter of fact, we were in a very similar
situation. We ended up 'wasting' a full (8-bit) subnet between a pair of
'interconnecting' routers.

cisco people claim they are working on supporting 'variable subnet masks'.
But I am not as optimistic since that would mean a fundamental change
in their way of distributing IGRP tables (and may be routing decisions
too ?).

One more problem, how are you going to tell your unix boxes (Sun for example)
about your variable subnet masks (assuming one can NOT use default routing
due to security reasons) ?

Erone Quek
ISD Network Computing Operations
Ontario Hydro
Tel: +1 416 592 6460
EMail: Erone.Quek@hydro.on.ca        or     ...!utcsri!ohmg1!equek

Watt-Alan@mickey.ycc.yale.edu (06/25/91)

From Alan Watt's correction to his original mistaken posting:

>> likely to get you in trouble.  However, I am quite sure that nothing
>> stops you from getting yourself a new class C network and subnetting
>> it as described above.  This still saves you from wasting unnecessary
>> subnets of your class B.

From Mark Tassinari's response to the above:

>Possibly, there is.  We just installed routers in the same configuration and
>were faced with the same decisions.   Page 5-5 of the manual states " ...the
>network must be set up such that it does not require traffic between any two
>subnets to cross another network."
>
>For the diagram below this would prohibit the use of a new class C network
>number for the point-to-point links.
>
>       net 128.115.1.0    128.115.2.0
>	       |               |
>	       |               |
>	   --------         -------
>	  | cisco  |       | cisco |
>	   --------         -------
>	       \               /   point-to-point
>		 \           /     links
>		   \       /    <-----
>		  ----------
>		 | backbone |
>		 |  cisco   |
>		  ----------
>
>We finally decided to burn a subnet for each link (fortunately there were only
>10).  I hope we will be into the next generation technology by the time we need
>those subnets, and that new technology will involve a topology change (like
>FDDI).

I should have just kept my mouth shut.  You're right; my "fix" for the
original mistake was no better.  Forget I said anything.

However, *I AM ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, CERTAINLY CONVNICED* there is
*NO TECHNICAL REASON* why you can't just get a class A address, and
subnet it on a 255.255.255.0 boundary.  This will give you 8-bit subnets
coming out of your ears.  Too bad the NIC won't give them out so
freely.  Aha! maybe I've finally figured out why we need OSI!! :-).

	- Alan S. Watt
	  High Speed Networking, Yale University
	  Computing and Information Systems
	  Box 2112 Yale Station
	  New Haven, CT  06520-2112
	  (203) 432-6600 X394
	  Watt-Alan@Yale.Edu

Moral:		Measure *thrice*, cut once.

  or:		It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool
		than to speak up and remove all doubt.

medin@nsipo.nasa.gov (NASA ARC NSI Project Office) (06/25/91)

I'll point out that you don't need OSI, just OSPF with variable length
subnet mask support in the IP forwarder.  Several vendors already do this.
It's not rocket science, and routing technology has surpassed the
point where such restrictions are required.  Subnets no longer need to
be connected if you do things right.

						Thanks,
						   Milo

Greg Satz <satz@cisco.com> (06/25/91)

>> I'll point out that you don't need OSI, just OSPF with variable length
>> subnet mask support in the IP forwarder.  Several vendors already do this.
>> It's not rocket science, and routing technology has surpassed the
>> point where such restrictions are required.  Subnets no longer need to
>> be connected if you do things right.
>>
>> 						Thanks,
>> 						   Milo

Milo, when is the IETF going to write up how variable length subnet masks
should be used? There are a number of situations where unexpected behavior
can occur. Is everyone expected to learn this for themselves?

Greg

thille@cisco.com (Nick Thille) (06/25/91)

Alan,

   There is just one problem with getting a class C....

> From: Watt-Alan@mickey.ycc.yale.edu ()
> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 91 22:36:13 EDT
> To: hubert@cac.washington.edu
> Subject: Re: backplane backbone, routing or bridging?
> Cc: cisco@spot.Colorado.EDU
>
> Steve Hubert replied to my posting of 20-Jun-91:
>
> |On Thu, 20 Jun 91 22:11:40 EDT, Watt-Alan@mickey.ycc.yale.edu wrote:
> |
> |> Subject: Re: backplane backbone, routing or bridging?
> |> To: hubert@cac.washington.edu
> |> cc: cisco@spot.colorado.edu

> |> However you do not have to assign a whole subnet to each point-to-point
> |> ethernet.  You can have a single subnet which is shared by all the
> |> point-to-point ethernets on both ends.  Assuming you subnet a class B
> |> on an 8-bit boundary, and the "point-to-point cloud" is subnet 100,
> |> you could define the subnet mask 255.255.255.252 to allow 6 bits
> |> of "sub-subnet" and 2 bits of "host" (0 is reserved, 3 is broadcast,
> |> 1 and 2 are the two endpoints.
> |
> |I don't understand how to do this with cisco equipment.  My understanding is
> |that the cisco has a single netmask for a network.  How do you get the
> |variable length mask idea to work?
>
> I think my fingers ran amok before my mind was properly engaged.  I have
> actually never tried this and now that I think about it, it is quite
> likely to get you in trouble.  However, I am quite sure that nothing
> stops you from getting yourself a new class C network and subnetting
> it as described above.  This still saves you from wasting unnecessary
> subnets of your class B.

The only possible problem with this comes if you want to put your
class C subnet in between class B segments.

ie:   (Disclamer:  It is late and my brain is tired.  I don't
       guarantee that the addresses below make sense.)

Denver Router                            New York Router
E0: 131.108.19.40                        E0: 131.108.29.47
S0: 192.27.38.249                        192.27.38.250

Note that this is illegal unless there is some other connection
between the two routers that has an address of 131.108.xxx.0.  This is
because discontiguous subnets are illegal.

Best Regards,

-Nick

> For all that, it may actually work to sub-subnet your class B.  On
> a typical BSD system, datagrams would be output on the proper interface,
> but the routing protocol daemons might get hopelessly confused.  Perhaps
> the same thing would happen on a cisco box (or is it "Cisco box" these
> days?).
>
> 	- Alan S. Watt
> 	  High Speed Networking, Yale University
> 	  Computing and Information Systems
> 	  Box 2112 Yale Station
> 	  New Haven, CT  06520-2112
> 	  (203) 432-6600 X394
> 	  Watt-Alan@Yale.Edu
>

> Moral:		Think twice, hit <ENTER> once.
>
> Disclaimer:	It is a violation of federal law to use this posting
> 		in a manner inconsistent with this disclaimer.

medin@nsipo.nasa.gov (NASA ARC NSI Project Office) (06/25/91)

Hopefully this will be discussed at the coming IETF meeting.  Obviously,
most people seem to have a position on how to do it since they are
or soon will be shipping it in their production router code.  I think
most of the vendors are pursuing the approach Van Jacobsen has taken
for 4.3 Reno.

I know you folks are very sharp, and I'm sure the IETF would love to hear
how you would choose to implement it!  I have my own views, but I'm
not a vendor and don't have a good feel for the support issues.

							Thanks,
							   Milo

oleary@sura.net (dave o'leary) (06/26/91)

In article <9106250555.AA23713@wolf.cisco.com> satz@cisco.com (Greg Satz) writes:

>>> I'll point out that you don't need OSI, just OSPF with variable length
>>> subnet mask support in the IP forwarder.  Several vendors already do this.
>>> It's not rocket science, and routing technology has surpassed the
>>> point where such restrictions are required.  Subnets no longer need to
>>> be connected if you do things right.
>>>
>>> 						Thanks,
>>> 						   Milo
>
>Milo, when is the IETF going to write up how variable length subnet masks
>should be used? There are a number of situations where unexpected behavior
>can occur. Is everyone expected to learn this for themselves?
>
>Greg

Greg et al,

I'm working on article for the SURAnet newsletter (which I will finish
any month now) on packet forwarding decisions in a subnetted environment.
When I have a reasonable draft done, I can make it available for
interested parties to check out.  In particular I am addressing the
issues of limitations of the forwarding table without subnet masks,
how to kludge around this under special conditions and why that is
dangerous, and how things work in a variably-subnetted environment
(using SURAnet, with lots of point to point and a couple of bigger
ethernets as an example), and how and why non-connected "subnets"
(which aren't really subnets anymore) can still see each other in
the new world order without Class A, B, and C.  Is there anything
else that should be covered to make this comprehensive?  I'm more than
half done at this point, but some of the hairier points remain to be
covered.  Is this the kind of document that you are interested in?

Thanks,

					dave

satz@cisco.com (Greg Satz) (06/26/91)

There is one case we came up with at the last IETF where two routers share
the same network but with different subnet masks. This is illegal.  Then
there is the case of multiple IP subnetworks on a single cable with
different subnet masks. This is also illegal.

Right?

Greg

PS. I agree that hopefully this should be written up at the next IETF too.

tcs@uunet.UU.NET (Terry Slattery) (06/26/91)

>Then there is the case of multiple IP subnetworks on a single cable with
>different subnet masks. This is also illegal.
>
>Right?
>
>Greg

With OSPF, you could have the different IP subnetworks on the same cable but
in different areas.  The OSPF area id would keep them distinct.  This
implies an area border router for each area on the same cable.

	-tcs

vaf@Valinor.Stanford.EDU (Vince Fuller) (06/26/91)

Greg,
  I don't think there's anything illegal about having multiple subnets on the
same cable with different subnet masks provided that all routers agree on the
subnet/mask pairs. OSPF with variable-length subnet masks should be able to
handle this.

	--Vince

Greg Satz <satz@cisco.com> (06/27/91)

>> Greg,
>>   I don't think there's anything illegal about having multiple subnets on the
>> same cable with different subnet masks provided that all routers agree on the
>> subnet/mask pairs. OSPF with variable-length subnet masks should be able to
>> handle this.
>>
>> 	--Vince

Exactly why this should be written down somewhere. It is enough of a change
to the IP architecture that word of mouth can lead to interesting
interopable incompatibilities. Jeff Mogul did a good job of describing how
subnetting should work. Who is going to augment it with the variable length
changes?

Greg

jqj@duff.uoregon.edu (JQ Johnson) (06/29/91)

A couple more minor points on variable subnet masks and OSPF:

1/ multiple different address masks on the same physical cable make
handling of ICMP address mask request/reply quite difficult.  RFC1122 as
written (pp. 45-46) does not allow for this case, and would need to be
rewritten to allow multiple masks on the same cable (dropping the "first
received" rule, disallowing processing of received mask replies until the
host's IP address is known, using the SOURCE of the mask reply to test
whether the given reply is appropriate to me, guaranteeing that senders of
mask replies always use the appropriate source address, etc.).  Worse, it
isn't clear to me that a receiver of a mask reply can always determine
whether it is appropriate.  I believe multiple different address masks for
different subnets of the same net on the same cable should be illegal.

2/ the OSPF spec restricts the possible set of subnet masks used in a
variably-subnetted network routed by OSPF.  P. 17 of RFC1131 states
"Subnet masks must be assigned so that the best match for any IP
destination is unambiguous".  This is a fairly weak restriction and in
particular is satisfied by any hierarchical design of subnet masks.

3/ some algorithms for routing to variably-masked subnets are linear cost
in the number of different subnet masks on a network.  I recommend that in
thinking about variable subnet masks people keep the set of subnet masks
small (say no more than 3 or 4 canonical sizes of subnet on a class B CAN).

Conclusions:

(a) don't use subnet masks like:
	subnet		mask		(three "important" bits)
	128.185.2.0	ffff0300	x10	(x = don't care)
	128.185.1.0	ffff0500	0x1
	128.185.4.0	ffff0600	10x
Even if they work, they'll confuse you.

(b) Greg is right.  Variable-sized subnets introduce substantial new
complexity into the subnetting model, and should be carefully documented
before people go out and start implementing them widely.

--
JQ Johnson
Director of Network Services		Internet: jqj@oregon.uoregon.edu

medin@nsipo.nasa.gov (NASA ARC NSI Project Office) (06/29/91)

Vince responded to this already, since I was on travel, and I fully agree
with his response.  I think the routing protocol can support a very large
degree of functionality, and the IP forwarder support should support this
level of functionality as well.  Did you see PT's latest note on a modified
patricia approach?

					Thanks,
					   Milo