[net.space] Ain't logic fun??

TAW@S1-A@sri-unix (10/20/82)

From: Tom Wadlow <TAW at S1-A>
	Date: Tuesday, 19 October 1982  11:49-EDT
	From: Jon Webb <Webb at Cmu-20c>
	Subject: I still think we're alone

	It seems to me the simplest explanation consistent with the available
	evidence is that there is no other intelligent civilization in the
	galaxy.  Of course we can propose that there are such civilizations, but
	we don't see them for various reasons, but that's not scientific, it's
	based on an emotional response.  (Anything can be explained in many
	ways, but in science we try to choose the simplest way).  Tipler's
	argument shows that the distances between stars impose no barrier to
	intelligent civlizations being aware of each other.  Given that, and the
	fact that we observe no evidence of other intelligent civilizations, we
	must conclude that there are no other intelligent civilizations in the
	galaxy.

It seems to me that scientific method would lead us to to the following
conclusions about other civilizations:

	1) We have seen only one example of intelligence (ourselves).

	2) We have studied only one solar system containing a habitable
	planet for Life-As-We-Know-It.

	3) Study of subcultures within our own civilization show us
	that our estimation of why other cultures do things is
	usually wrong.

	4) We have looked for evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence
	for a very short time and in a very limited portion of the
	sky.

Therefore:

	We really don't know, and we can't know until we get more
	data.

					Cheers, --Tom

mcewan (10/24/82)

#R:sri-unix:-390500:uiucdcs:12700015:000:248
uiucdcs!mcewan    Oct 23 20:32:00 1982

Lets be mathematical about this:

How many intelligent species do we know of?
At least one.

How many star systems have we investigated?
One (not too thoroughly).

So the expected value for number of intelligent species found per star
system >= 1!

REM@MIT-MC@sri-unix (10/28/82)

From: Robert Elton Maas <REM at MIT-MC>
There's one problem with your estimate of 1 intelligent species per
star system (ignoring the obvious problem that at least three other
species on Earth are also intelligent although not technological, as I
mentionned a couple times before) -- Your data is very biased. Suppose
a survey were conducted in every star system in the Galaxy, asking
whether an intelligent species existed there? Exactly one survey sheet
would be turned in, after all who would turn it in on the other systems?

The reason this planet we're on is suitable for life and not the
others in our system, instead of the other way around with Venus nice
and Earth unbearable, is because if this planet weren't habitable we
wouldn't be here contemplating the question. Your survey with Earth as
the only place surveyed is very biased. You've picked a place where
intelligent life exists, to conduct the survey, rather than a random
place in the Galaxy. Any way you look at it, the expected value won't
be 1 until we have picked a few RANDOM star systems out there, not our
own, and found them all to be inhabited with intelligent life.

mcdaniel (10/30/82)

#R:sri-unix:-390500:uiucdcs:12700017:000:267
uiucdcs!mcdaniel    Oct 29 21:48:00 1982

Three other intelligent species on Terra? Where's your proof?
I think others will be interested, too.
                               A curious person:
                               Tim McDaniel
	                 ({decvax or ucbvax or harpo}!pur-ee!uiucdcs!mcdaniel)