[bit.listserv.biosph-l] Hagersville tyre fire.

WHITLOCK@MCMASTER.BITNET (Jeremy Whitlock) (02/28/90)

Bob Ewing writes (Wed, 28 Feb 90):

  > The tire fire in Hagersville Ontario has generated
  > consideerable discussion about the disposal of used
  > tires.  Does anyone know the pros and cons of
  > burning tires in a cement kiln?

I don't have any references, but on the news I heard a spokesman for the
St.Mary's Cement plant near here (ie. near Hagersville) claiming that
burning tires in their cement kilns at a high enough temperature would
remove something like 99.9% of the pollutants from the smoke.  They have
been trying to get permission to burn tires for a while now, but the
government has been dragging its heels.

Jeremy.
Jeremy Whitlock                        e-mail:  WHITLOCK@MCMASTER.CA
Dept. of Engineering Physics
McMaster University                    phone: (613) 525-9140 ext.7140
Hamilton, Ont.
CANADA   L8S 4L8
                   "My thoughts are mine, not Mac's"