[comp.specification] specification for nonfunctional requirments ?

reino@cs.eur.nl (Reino de Boer) (04/10/90)

swu@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Chi-Sharn Wu) writes:

>Does anyone know any work on specification for nonfunctional requirements,
>especially on fault tolerance and security ?
>Any pointer will be appreciated.

@TechReport{wupper86,
  AUTHOR = "Hanno Wupper and Jan Vytopil and Martin Wieczorek",
  TITLE = "Towards a Language and Notation for the Specification of
           Reliable Real-Time Systems Parts {I}, {II}, and {III}",
  INSTITUTION = "Catholic University Nijmegen, The Netherlands",
  YEAR = "1986--87",
  NUMBER = "83, 93, 101"
}

Hope this is what you're looking for -- Reino
--
Reino R. A. de Boer     "We want to build the right product right, right?"
Erasmus University Rotterdam ( Informatica )

cliff@cs.man.ac.uk (Cliff Jones) (04/12/90)

In article <33855@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> swu@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Chi-Sharn Wu) writes:
>Does anyone know any work on specification for nonfunctional requirements,
>especially on fault tolerance and security ?
>Any pointer will be appreciated.
>
>Chi-Sharn Wu
>swu@cs.ucla.edu

The work that I did on concurrency added rely-/guarantee-conditions to
describe "interference" tollerated and caused by shared-variable
programs. I realized some time ago that *some* forms of
fault-tolerance can be specified by the rely-condition alone. I
recently consulted on another project where this idea can yield a
precise statement of fault-tollerance. Nothing of this work as such is
published - the best source for the rel/guarantee idea is my paper in
the proceedings of the 1983 IFIP Congress. Zhou Chaochen used a
similar idea in describing the faults which can be tolerated by (HDLC)
protocols.

cliff jones