[comp.specification] Is VDM case studies book out yet?

GG.MPD@forsythe.stanford.edu (Michael Durket) (07/27/90)

   Has the book "Case Studies in Systematic Software Design" by
Jones and Shaw been published yet? I understand that it was to
have been published March 17th, but had to be withdrawn because
of some printing error.

  If anyone knows a new publication date I'd appreciate knowing as
I want to purchase a copy.

   Thanks,

    Michael Durket

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (07/30/90)

GG.MPD@forsythe.stanford.edu (Michael Durket) wrote:

>    Has the book "Case Studies in Systematic Software Design" by
> Jones and Shaw been published yet? I understand that it was to
> have been published March 17th, but had to be withdrawn because
> of some printing error.

I've seen it on the shelves (Thin's in Edinburgh).  I then ordered one
through another supplier three months ago.  Not a peep yet.

Pretty serious printing error that gets a whole edition withdrawn and
can't be fixed with an errata slip.  Did Cliff say something about Cecil
Parkinson?  :-)

--
--  Jack Campin   Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland   041 339 8855 x6044 work  041 556 1878 home

maa@ee.sei.cmu.edu (Mark Ardis) (07/31/90)

In article <10667@lindy.Stanford.EDU> GG.MPD@forsythe.stanford.edu (Michael Durket) writes:

      Has the book "Case Studies in Systematic Software Design" by
   Jones and Shaw been published yet? I understand that it was to
   have been published March 17th, but had to be withdrawn because
   of some printing error.

Yes, it is out:  ISBN 0-13-116088-5
Prentice Hall International, 1990.

--
Mark A. Ardis
Software Engineering Institute

cliff@cs.man.ac.uk (Cliff Jones) (07/31/90)

I can't remember exactly when it came out but it is definately
available here in the UK book stores - please let me know if you are
having trouble in the US and I'll chase the publisher.

In case it helps, here is the ISBN: 0-13-116088-5

cliff jones

cliff@cs.man.ac.uk (Cliff Jones) (07/31/90)

What is this assasination attempt?

I know of no "printing error" which held up publication; certainly
none that got the book "withdrawn".

If you are having real problems getting copies, let me know and I'll
chase PHI.

cliff jones

brianm@r8a.man.ac.uk (Brian Monahan) (08/01/90)

Yes, it's certainly available in the UK.  I got my copy soon after
publication either January or Feburary from my local book store.  I
don't understand what this rumour of a "printing error" is all about -
it's a new one on me!  Perhaps your book suppliers have their wires crossed ...

                                    /
   Dr. Brian Monahan                /
                                    /
   Department of Computer Science   /   Janet : brianm@uk.ac.man.cs
   The University of Manchester	    /           bqm@uk.ac.man.cs
   Oxford Road			    /   Phone : (+44)-61-275-6137
   Manchester M13 9PL		    /   FAX   : (+44)-61-275-6280
                                    /

GG.MPD@forsythe.stanford.edu (Michael Durket) (08/02/90)

In article <1538@m1.cs.man.ac.uk>,
cliff@cs.man.ac.uk (Cliff Jones) writes:

>What is this assasination attempt?
>
>I know of no "printing error" which held up publication; certainly
>none that got the book "withdrawn".
>
>If you are having real problems getting copies, let me know and I'll
>chase PHI.
>
>cliff jones

Please - let's not get carried away. "Assasination attempt". Isn't
that a little strong? Back in February I sent a note to John
Fitzgerald at Manchester, asking about the Case Studies book. His
reply stated (and I hope I'm not getting him into trouble here)

  "The book of case studies has been printed but has been delayed
slightly awaiting binding (the blurb on the back cover had to be
re-written)."

   This is the source of my statement, but I do see that my
recollection failed since February - I shouldn't have said reprinted
since it was just an advert that had to be altered. I apologize for
this "assasination attempt". Sheeshh!!!

   On another plane, thanks to everyone who responded to my request
- armed with this information I'll go back to the bookstore and try
to get the book.

   Mike Durket