[comp.specification] Z Notation

27003_1531@uwovax.uwo.ca (Chris Baldock) (10/20/90)

Hi... I'm looking for information on Zed Notation.
Anything at all!! Where I can find info about it .. .tex files on Zed,
anything would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill McLean

SA_BILL@VAXI.SSCL.UWO.CA
mclean@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca

bowen@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jonathan Bowen) (10/22/90)

In article <7479.271f2a53@uwovax.uwo.ca> Bill Mclean writes:
>Hi... I'm looking for information on Zed Notation.
>Anything at all!! Where I can find info about it .. .tex files on Zed,
>anything would be much appreciated!

You might find the PRG archive server useful. This includes a Z
bibliography. For information on the server, send a message containing
the command "help" to <archive-server@prg.oxford.ac.uk>.  For an index
of Z-related files, use the command "index z". For the full Z
bibliography, use "send z zbib". There is a Z LaTeX style file and
type-checker available for PCs and Suns (3s, and SPARCs soon I think).
Use "send z fuzz" for information.  (It costs c 300 UK pounds.)

The best reference book is:

%A J. Michael Spivey
%T The Z Notation: A Reference Manual
%I Prentice Hall
%C Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP2 4RG, UK
%S International Series in Computer Science
%Z 188
%D 1989
%Y ISBN 0-13-983768-X
%O Price: \*L15.95 ($26.95) paperback.
%X This book is currently the de facto ``standard'' for the Z notation.

For some example specifications, see:

%A Ian J. Hayes
%A L. William Flinn
%A Roger B. Gimson
%A C. Carroll Morgan
%A Ib H. So\*/rensen
%A Bernard A. Sufrin
%E Ian J. Hayes
%T Specification Case Studies
%I Prentice Hall
%C Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP2 4RG, UK
%S International Series in Computer Science
%Z 332
%D 1987
%Y ISBN 0-13-826579-8, ISBN 0-13-826595-X PBK
%O Price: \*L17.95 paperback.
%X This book contains material from P.R.G. Technical Monographs
46\-50.  It is edited by Ian Hayes and written mainly by members
of the P.R.G.  It forms a varied collection of case studies in Z.

if you would like to join.

There is an annual Z Users Meeting. This year's is on 17-18 December 1990
at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, UK. Contact the organizing secretary
<Joan.Arnold@prg.oxford.ac.uk> for further information.

I hope some of this is helpful.

--
Jonathan Bowen, <Jonathan.Bowen@prg.oxford.ac.uk>