[comp.specification] Numerical Analysis/ Formal proofs

cliff@cs.man.ac.uk (Cliff B Jones) (02/17/91)

I am aware that Hoare's 1969 article mentioned the problems of
computer arithmetic (being finite etc.) and know of some work by Tom
Hull (I was at the Las Cruces 1972(?) conference). *But* my question
is still can anyone point me to references which link numerical
problems and formal program development ideas?

cliff jones

steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) (02/18/91)

cliff@cs.man.ac.uk (Cliff B Jones) writes:

>... anyone point me to references which link numerical
>problems and formal program development ideas?

I've been looking for such things myself. The best that I can come up
with is the link between constructive analysis, real analysis and the
numerical problems. If you find out anything, please send me a copy.

Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-1906

arshad@cs.ed.ac.uk (Arshad Mahmood) (02/18/91)

In article <2147@m1.cs.man.ac.uk> cliff@cs.man.ac.uk (Cliff B Jones) writes:

>I am aware that Hoare's 1969 article mentioned the problems of
>computer arithmetic (being finite etc.) and know of some work by Tom
>Hull (I was at the Las Cruces 1972(?) conference). *But* my question
>is still can anyone point me to references which link numerical
>problems and formal program development ideas?

Not quite formal program development, but the work of Shaye Koenig on
the relationship between finite differencing and program optimization
(a la program transformation) comes to mind.

The original paper by Shaye Koenig is in the ACM TOPLAS '82 (I think),
something quite relevent is also in Richard Bird's paper on the
promotion and accumulation strategies (ACM TOPLAS, 1984).

>cliff jones

Best Wishes,

A. Mahmood
Edin. Univ.