[comp.specification] Structuring large spec VDM vs Z ?

anthony@cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) (06/19/91)

A lot people responded to the original question about VDM vs Z
stated that one of their reasons for choosing either VDM or Z was
because of the language's ability to structure large specifications.
However nobody bother backing up their statements, i.e. nobody
said why say VDM was better for structuring.

I would really like to hear more arguments about why one is better
than the other in terms of structuring.  In particular I want to
know what mechanisms are available for building specifications
incrmentally, (e.g. schema calculus).

The next question is do you think object-orientation could
assist the building of incremental specifications ?

--
Anthony Lee (Michaelangelo teenage mutant ninja turtle) (Time Lord Doctor)
email: anthony@cs.uq.oz.au			    TEL:+(61)-7-365-2697 (w)

eka@cs.ed.ac.uk (Edmund Kazmierczak) (06/25/91)

In article <2017@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au>, anthony@cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) writes:
> A lot people responded to the original question about VDM vs Z
> stated that one of their reasons for choosing either VDM or Z was
> because of the language's ability to structure large specifications.
> However nobody bother backing up their statements, i.e. nobody
> said why say VDM was better for structuring.

Another language ought to be mentioned here and that is Extended ML,
although it is not a "pure" specification language but a wide-spectrum
language based on Standard ML.  Briefly, the module facilities of Standard
ML are used to structure the specifications.  These can then be refined
into Standard ML code.

> The next question is do you think object-orientation could
> assist the building of incremental specifications ?

Myself and a colleague are looking into it for Object Z.

Edmund Kazmierczak
email : eka@lfcs.ed.ac.uk
LFCS, Dept. of Computer Science
The King's Buildings