[comp.sys.alliant] login dumps core

eschle@forty2.UUCP (Patrik Eschle) (03/16/90)

Our 5.5.02 /bin/login (yes, the one with /var/spool/mail :-) dumps
core (in /) when we try to login with a non-existant username.

Did others also see this?

Patrik
--
Patrik Eschle, Physics Institute University of  Zuerich (Switzerland)
uucp: uunet!mcsun!cernvax!forty2!eschle, bitnet: k538911@czhrzu1a.bitnet

jay@alliant.backbone.uoknor.edu (Jay Liang) (03/17/90)

In article <1260@forty2.UUCP> eschle@forty2.UUCP (Patrik Eschle) writes:

>Our 5.5.02 /bin/login (yes, the one with /var/spool/mail :-) dumps
>core (in /) when we try to login with a non-existant username.
>
>Did others also see this?

	YES

Jay
--
A philosopher is someone who knows something about knowing *    O   O
which nobody else knows so well.        - Descartes        *      |

xxrich@alliant1 (Rich Rinehart) (03/20/90)

In article <1260@forty2.UUCP> eschle@forty2.UUCP (Patrik Eschle) writes:

>Our 5.5.02 /bin/login (yes, the one with /var/spool/mail :-) dumps
>core (in /) when we try to login with a non-existant username.
>
>Did others also see this?

No, we haven't noticed this.

I have noticed what appears to be some form of a deadlock condition that
happens to fortran jobs periodically...anyone else notice this?  the jobs
won't run right away, even if (it looks like) resources are available.

-rich

Rich Rinehart                  |     phone: 216-433-5211
NASA Lewis Research Center     |     email: xxrich@alliant1.lerc.nasa.gov

jgodsil@newton.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Joseph Godsil) (03/20/90)

> In article <1260@forty2.UUCP> eschle@forty2.UUCP (Patrik Eschle) writes:
> >
> >Our 5.5.02 /bin/login (yes, the one with /var/spool/mail :-) dumps
> >core (in /) when we try to login with a non-existant username.
> >
> >Did others also see this?

  I just tested this and yes it does dump core in root (/) when you
  try to login with a non-existant account.

   Joseph M. Godsil  (jgodsil@ncsa.uiuc.edu)