[comp.sys.alliant] Error msg from GCC executables on Alliant FX40

ric@ace.sri.com (Richard Steinberger) (10/23/90)

	I have noticed that when I run programs compiled with the GCC
(version 1.37.93, recently built and installed on our Alliant FX/40,
OS 5.5.02), I get the following message:

wc not executable by kernel
[The wc program then proceded to work correctly, giving the byte, word, and
line count for the file I supplied].

The wc refers to the program name (wc, the word count pgm from K&R).  When I
type "file wc", I get the following:

wc:     0413 demand paged pure( not Alliant )

Has anyone seen this before?  If so, can you explain what it means?  Could it
indicate an error in the building of the compiler?  Any hints, suggestions,
or comments welcome.

regards,

	ric steinberger
	ric@ace.sri.com
	(415) 859 - 4300

cantrell@Alliant.COM (Paul Cantrell) (10/26/90)

I was waiting for someone else to answer this, but it doesn't look like anyone
is, so I'll try my best:

In article <17495@unix.SRI.COM> ric@ace.sri.com (Richard Steinberger) writes:
>	I have noticed that when I run programs compiled with the GCC
>(version 1.37.93, recently built and installed on our Alliant FX/40,
>OS 5.5.02), I get the following message:
>
>wc not executable by kernel
>[The wc program then proceded to work correctly, giving the byte, word, and
>line count for the file I supplied].

This message is coming from csh, after the kernel refuses to execute it.
Alliant executables have a special format (0420) which has extra
information in it for exec to determine whether you are trying to run a
concurrent application. Thus the 0413 format along with the 0407 and 0410
formats are not executable formats although the linker supports them because
they are useful for some special applications. The man page a.out(5) gives
more information on the Alliant executable file formats.

If you really want to use the gcc compiler, it should be very simple to
convert it to produce 0420 files. I don't know if anyone inside of Alliant
has done this or not. Without ever having looked at the sources for the
gcc compiler, I would guess this is a couple hours work tops.

Hope this helps...
--
Paul Cantrell
UUCP: ...mit-eddie!alliant!cantrell