[comp.sys.alliant] NFS remote execution

eschle@forty2.physik.unizh.ch (Patrik Eschle) (01/06/91)

From the Release Notes to Concentrix 5.6:

 "Version 5.6 of Concentrix offers the following enhancements:

     - Support for NFS remote execution
  [..] "

Does anybody know what "NFS remote execution" means?

Thanks,
Patrik

(Oh, btw: /lib/libc.a in the international distribution is
 dated from Feb 14 1990 and is identical to the libc that came
 with 5.5.02. What does Alliant distribute in the States?)
--
Patrik Eschle, Physics Institute University of  Zuerich (Switzerland)
inet: eschle@physik.unizh.ch (bang: uunet!chx400!forty2!eschle)

pwolfe@kai.com (Patrick Wolfe) (01/07/91)

eschle@forty2.physik.unizh.ch (Patrik Eschle) writes:
>Does anybody know what "NFS remote execution" means?
>
>Patrik Eschle, Physics Institute University of  Zuerich (Switzerland)

It means being able to execute programs where the binary resides on an NFS
mounted filesystem.  Until now, you have had to copy executables to a local
disk before you could run them.

Has Alliant fixed the remote shell script problem in 5.6?  If you have three
shell scripts located on a remote NFS filesystem whose first lines are
"#!/bin/sh", "#!/bin/csh" and "#!/usr/local/bin/perl", will each be directed to
the correct interpretor, or will they still all be fed to the Bourne Shell?

	Patrick Wolfe   (pat@kai.com, kailand!pat)
	System Programmer/Operations Manager, Kuck & Associates
	"Any opinions expressed are my own, not my employers's.
	 Please, don't call my boss and complain ... again."