[comp.sys.alliant] gcc, x11 for i860

ric@ace.sri.com (Richard Steinberger) (05/10/91)

In <366@nic.cerf.net> jonesm@nic.cerf.net (John Reading) writes:

>I am a devotee of hopeless causes, so I am trying to compile the
>MIT distribution of X 11R4 in order to end up with an X server on
>an Alliant fx2800. My first attempts have met with failure because
>the Alliant C preprocessor, scc0, doesn't paste tokens together in
>the fashion expected by the X developers, and I end up with thousands
>of compiler errors. The X documentation that comes with the release
>says the gcc is the compiler of choice, so my question is...

>Does anybody have gcc ported to (and producing code for :-)) the
>intel i860 micro? Lacking that, does anybody have a preprocessor that
>handles token pasting as required by the X sources?

>Please respond by email, I will post a summary if there is sufficient
>(any? :-)) response.

>Thanks in advance,
>John Reading

I haven't heard of any GCC for the i860.  (Come on Alliant, who's going to
buy your boxes if important SW like GCC doesn't run on them?).  Anyway,
in the X dist, in one of the subdirectories, there is a C preprocessor.
You might be able to use that.  Then again, maybe the Alliant C compiler
will barf on it.  Good luck.

-ric steinberger