[comp.sys.apple2] vt100 terminal software

afgun@caen.engin.umich.edu (Andrew Frederick Gunnesch) (03/05/90)

Howdy.  Let's try out the new newsgroup!  Does anyone know where I can get some
terminal software for an apple ][e that emulates a vt100?  I've got a super-serial
card running a 2400 bps modem, but only have ascii software.  If anyone could
help, it would be greatly appreciated.

--afgun@caen.engin.umich.edu
(no .signature)

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (03/06/90)

In article <490534e1.1b80e@scuzz.engin.umich.edu>, afgun@caen.engin.umich.edu
(Andrew Frederick Gunnesch) says:

>Howdy.  Let's try out the new newsgroup!  Does anyone know where I can get
>some
>terminal software for an apple ][e that emulates a vt100?  I've got a
>super-serial
>card running a 2400 bps modem, but only have ascii software.  If anyone could
>help, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
>--afgun@caen.engin.umich.edu
>(no .signature)
Well, I personally like ProTERM, although I tend to avoid commercial software
if there is a shareware or freeware equivilent. Kermit is OK, but I have had
some problems with printing and logging things. Another one out there is
ZLINK, which is a pretty good package for what I've used it for, but I can't
really say how good the emulation is...
                                                      ...Sal

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (03/07/90)

> (Andrew Frederick Gunnesch) says:
> >
> >Howdy.  Let's try out the new newsgroup!  Does anyone know where I can
> >get someterminal software for an apple ][e that emulates a vt100?
> >I've got a super-serial card running a 2400 bps modem, but only have
> >ascii software.  If anyone could help, it would be greatly
> >appreciated.
>  Well, I personally like ProTERM, although I tend to avoid commercial
>software if there is a shareware or freeware equivilent. Kermit is OK,
>but I have had some problems with printing and logging things. Another
>one out there is ZLINK, which is a pretty good package for what I've
>used it for, but I can't really say how good the emulation is...
>							 ...Sal

Ok, my turn:

  I have a friend, cs170583@vttcf.cc.vt.edu, who has an Apple ][e and
has a 1200bps modem.  He has Apple Access (2?) and Proterm.  Both of
these he finds totally unacceptable (and so do I).  Both of these
terminal programs drop characters and he can NOT turn on flow control
because this will interfere with Emacs.  The Apple ][ SHOULD be able to
handle 1200bps without flow control.

Now, for the big question:  Is there ANY terminal program out there that
emulates some recognizable terminal type such as vt52 or vt110 and that
DOES NOT DROP CHARACTERS?

Please, if you know of ANY that are available or even available on the
network, please let HIM know.  He does have FTP access.

THANK YOU.
ps:  he does not have access to net news....  :)

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (03/07/90)

In article <SCOTT.90Mar6214739@offa.cs.odu.edu> scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) writes:
>> (Andrew Frederick Gunnesch) says:
>> >
>> >Howdy.  Let's try out the new newsgroup!  Does anyone know where I can
>> >get someterminal software for an apple ][e that emulates a vt100?

>>Another
>>one out there is ZLINK, which is a pretty good package for what I've
>>used it for, but I can't really say how good the emulation is...
>>							 ...Sal
>
>Ok, my turn:
>
>  I have a friend, cs170583@vttcf.cc.vt.edu, who has an Apple ][e and
>has a 1200bps modem.  He has Apple Access (2?) and Proterm.  Both of
>these he finds totally unacceptable (and so do I).  Both of these
>terminal programs drop characters and he can NOT turn on flow control
>because this will interfere with Emacs.  The Apple ][ SHOULD be able to
>handle 1200bps without flow control.
>
>Now, for the big question:  Is there ANY terminal program out there that
>emulates some recognizable terminal type such as vt52 or vt110 and that
>DOES NOT DROP CHARACTERS?
>
>Please, if you know of ANY that are available or even available on the
>network, please let HIM know.  He does have FTP access.

Any program on the //e will lose characters (except perhaps Kermit)
unless interrupts on your serial card are turned on. If you have a
Super Serial Card, then flip switch 2-6 ON.

Also keep in mind that some programs (like Z-Link) require an enhanced
//e. Z-Link actually requires that and 128k.

Another problem is that the interrupt servicing overhead on a //e (or
//c) is pretty high.  After the firmware and ProDOS have finished
ignoring the interrupt, at least one or two characters have been lost
IF YOU'RE GOING OVER 2400 BAUD. I've not had anyone complain of
lossage at 2400 baud, but they have for 4800 and 9600. At those
speeds, you'd want a Zip chip or something.

--
Dave Whitney
dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu  ...!mit-eddie!sun-bear!dcw  dcw@athena.mit.edu

mandel@granite.cr.bull.com (Mark Mandel) (03/08/90)

In article <SCOTT.90Mar6214739@offa.cs.odu.edu> scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) writes:
> ...  He has Apple Access (2?) and Proterm.  Both of
>these he finds totally unacceptable (and so do I).  Both of these
>terminal programs drop characters and he can NOT turn on flow control
>because this will interfere with Emacs.  The Apple ][ SHOULD be able to
>handle 1200bps without flow control.
>
>Now, for the big question:  Is there ANY terminal program out there that
>emulates some recognizable terminal type such as vt52 or vt110 and that
>DOES NOT DROP CHARACTERS?

ProTERM explicitly requires an ENHANCED //e.  You've got to buy the
enhancement (about $70 mail order from Roger Coats, or similar to have it
done by a dealer -- at least in my area).  The 65C02 has an expanded
instruction set, handles interrupts, and runs about 30% faster, which
enable it to work at 1200 BPS and up.

TIC (Talk Is Cheap) is shareware that has the same requirement.

--

	-- Mark Mandel          (InterNet: Mandel@granite.cr.bull.com)

 /* My employer is not responsible for anything I say, do, think, or eat. */

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (03/08/90)

In article <1990Mar7.155826.25065@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David
C. Whitney) says:

>Another problem is that the interrupt servicing overhead on a //e (or
>//c) is pretty high.  After the firmware and ProDOS have finished
>ignoring the interrupt, at least one or two characters have been lost
>IF YOU'RE GOING OVER 2400 BAUD. I've not had anyone complain of
>lossage at 2400 baud, but they have for 4800 and 9600. At those
>speeds, you'd want a Zip chip or something.

Actually, I've used Kermit on an enhanced (not accelerated) //e at 9600
baud with only very minor character losses (usually one every couple of
full screenfuls of data) and never while doing kermit protocol file
transfers. I think I tried Zlink on it, with the same results (but
no file transfers).

hughes@ux.acs.umn.edu (Steve Hughes) (03/08/90)

Speaking of high speed, I've been out of touch with Apple // stuff for
a while, and the last time I was reading any // specific magazines
the "Zip Chip" had just been anounced and there was raging scepticism
about its claimed virtues.  I bowed out of the Apple // world before
I ever heard the outcome of all the controversy.

IS the Zip Chip something real and something real good?

Thanks for any info.

gadi@clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (Gadi Friedman) (03/08/90)

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:

>Another problem is that the interrupt servicing overhead on a //e (or
>//c) is pretty high.  After the firmware and ProDOS have finished
>ignoring the interrupt, at least one or two characters have been lost
>IF YOU'RE GOING OVER 2400 BAUD. I've not had anyone complain of
>lossage at 2400 baud, but they have for 4800 and 9600. At those
>speeds, you'd want a Zip chip or something.

>--
>Dave Whitney

My vote is for Softerm II.  It does a great vt100 and will not
lose characters on a IIe, II+, IIe enhanced etc. even at 9600bps.
They wrote their own serial card and screen drivers and modified
DOS to get things to work.
  This program does, however cost $195 and is NOT user friendly.
It will only run from floppies, and can tranfer files to CPM,PASCAL,
DOS 3.3 or Prodos formatted disks.

Finally, it only does xmodem, not any of the newer protocols.

Gadi.

PS, my version is about 3 years old.  I've seen their add in the
recent A+ and you can contact them for updated info.

frankh@durin.sparta.COM (Frank Halsema) (03/09/90)

In article <SCOTT.90Mar6214739@offa.cs.odu.edu>, scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) writes:
>   I have a friend, cs170583@vttcf.cc.vt.edu, who has an Apple ][e and
> has a 1200bps modem.  He has Apple Access (2?) and Proterm.  Both of
> these he finds totally unacceptable (and so do I).  Both of these
> terminal programs drop characters and he can NOT turn on flow control
> because this will interfere with Emacs.  The Apple ][ SHOULD be able to
> handle 1200bps without flow control.

I use apple access II on my apple //c. I work o.k. even with emacs.
It does have an annoying tendency to trap out control q,s,h and others.
But I have remapped (hosed up) my emacs to get around the worst and
the rest i use M-x command. I would like a better on if one is available.

--
Frank Halsema                           UUCP: durin!frankh
SPARTA, Inc.                   		ARPA: frankh@durin.sparta.com