[comp.sys.apple2] Sweet 16 -- what is it?

BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) (03/07/90)

Sweet 16 was mentioned recently on c.s.apple in a discussion about Merlin Pro
and other Apple //e assemblers.  I have Merlin Pro myself, and have always been
perplexed by the occasional reference to Sweet 16.  Just what *is* it?

                      Ben Liblit
                      BRL102 @ psuvm.bitnet -- BRL102 @ psuvm.psu.edu
                      "Fais que tes reves soient plus longs que la nuit."

sobol@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (Steven Sobol) (03/08/90)

In article <90065.143316BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu> BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) writes:
>Sweet 16 was mentioned recently on c.s.apple in a discussion about Merlin Pro
>and other Apple //e assemblers.  I have Merlin Pro myself, and have always been
>perplexed by the occasional reference to Sweet 16.  Just what *is* it?

Sweet 16 is (as was already mentioned in this group) a program which was
supposed to emulate a 16-bit CPU. It uses sixteen 16-bit registers. Their
values are stored in memory locations 0-31. 0-1 is the accumulator (R0),
2-3 is reg. R1, and so on to R15 (memory locations 30-31). Merlin Pro can
generate Sweet 16 code, but you need the actual emulator program to run it.
I know I have it somewhere at home (Cleveland), but I haven't even used,
or programmed, an Apple II in quite a while. If I remember correctly, it was
originally distributed with a special Apple II ROM chip called the
Programmer's Aid (correct me if I'm wrong...?)
--
Steve Sobol | Founders Hall #318, University of Dayton,   Dayton, OH 45469-0001
ARPA/Internet: sobol@udcps2.cps.udayton.edu or Steven.Sobol@afitamy.fidonet.org

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (03/09/90)

In article <1990Mar7.214439.10233@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu> sobol@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (Steven Sobol) writes:

>In article <90065.143316BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu> BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) writes:
>>Sweet 16 was mentioned recently on c.s.apple in a discussion about Merlin Pro
>>and other Apple //e assemblers.  I have Merlin Pro myself, and have always been
>>perplexed by the occasional reference to Sweet 16.  Just what *is* it?
> Sweet 16 is (as was already mentioned in this group) a program which was
>supposed to emulate a 16-bit CPU. It uses sixteen 16-bit registers. Their
>values are stored in memory locations 0-31. 0-1 is the accumulator (R0),
>2-3 is reg. R1, and so on to R15 (memory locations 30-31). Merlin Pro can
>generate Sweet 16 code, but you need the actual emulator program to run it.
>I know I have it somewhere at home (Cleveland), but I haven't even used,
>or programmed, an Apple II in quite a while. If I remember correctly, it was
>originally distributed with a special Apple II ROM chip called the
>Programmer's Aid (correct me if I'm wrong...?)

Close...  it was in the Integer basic rom, and in the Integer Basic
binary file on the old system disk.  It allowed program flow to switch
on the fly from sweet 16 to normal 6502 and back.  Geez, even Woz was
emulating different architechtures on the 6502..

-Paul Nakada
pnakada@oracle.com
nakada@husc4.harvard.edu

BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) (03/09/90)

In article <PNAKADA.90Mar8104217@pnakada.oracle.com>, pnakada@oracle.com (Paul
Nakada) says:

>Close... [the 16 bit emulator] was in the Integer basic rom, and in the
>Integer Basic binary file on the old system disk.  It allowed program flow to
>switch on the fly from sweet 16 to normal 6502 and back.

I've still got that old system disk somewhere ... how do I get at Sweet 16?
What does an assembly language routine to do switch back and forth?