[comp.sys.apple2] Apple Press Release

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris: 223-8753, TECHNOLOGY OFFICE, MLO1-4/T35 12-Mar-1990 1105) (03/13/90)

From: fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden)

>Cupertino, CA

>     In a surprise move today, John Sculy announced that the low-end
>Macintosh systems would no longer be produced.
>

>     In addition to pushing their higher-end products, Sculy said that
>they would place more emphasis on their GS line.
>
>     "We don't think enough has been done for our greener, sweeter series
>of Apples.  They have the capabilities desirable in both business markets
>and K-12 educational cafeterias."

If this is true, this is the most sensible thing I've read on this feed in
a long time.  Stopping the infighting conserves much energy and allows
this energy to be directed in the right direction.

This seems like the most logical strategy:

    - leverage the massive existing Apple //  base

    - allow migration upwards (for those who desire it) with the like of
      hypercard GS, common peripherals, file transfer utilities, etc, etc.

    - focus the mac line on the higher end business needs

I hope it is true and wish all at Apple success in this strategy.

Now maybe the gloom & doom can stop. (Just a wish :-) )
|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (03/13/90)

In article <9003121614.AA19425@decwrl.dec.com> shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris: 223-8753, TECHNOLOGY OFFICE, MLO1-4/T35  12-Mar-1990 1105) writes:
>From: fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden)
>
>>Cupertino, CA
>
>>     In a surprise move today, John Sculy announced that the low-end
>>Macintosh systems would no longer be produced.
>>

>>     In addition to pushing their higher-end products, Sculy said that
>>they would place more emphasis on their GS line.
>>
>>     "We don't think enough has been done for our greener, sweeter series
>>of Apples.  They have the capabilities desirable in both business markets
>>and K-12 educational cafeterias."
>

>If this is true, this is the most sensible thing I've read on this feed in
>a long time.  Stopping the infighting conserves much energy and allows
>this energy to be directed in the right direction.

C'mon folks! Doesn't anyone recognize SATIRE.

Rick

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (03/13/90)

In article <1990Mar13.043332.13089@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) writes...
>>If this is true, this is the most sensible thing I've read on this feed in
>>a long time.  Stopping the infighting conserves much energy and allows
>>this energy to be directed in the right direction.
>>

>C'mon folks! Doesn't anyone recognize SATIRE.

Obviously not.  I fell for it hook, line and sinker.  Goes to show you
that when you want something so bad, you'll read (or not read) what ever
you want into something. :-)

Oh well Andy gave a bunch of us some home, if only for a short period of
time.