[comp.sys.apple2] System 5.0 Questions

dickson@aludra.usc.edu (Jeffrey Dickson) (03/17/90)

Greetings all!

  I've been poking around in the GS/OS 5.0 system files and have a few ques-
tions I'm sure someone out there can answer (I hope Apple can at least!).

  Within the Finder (file: START) there is code that looks very much like
definitions for three menus labeled SEE FOLDERS, SEE FILES, and MAKE CHANGES.
Each of these has the same selections: Nobody, Owner, Group, Owner & Group,
and Everyone.  I realize these have to do with AppleTalk network support, but
are these actually additional menus?  How are they activated and what's their
use?

  One of the start up files in the System folder refers to a file within
SYSTEM/DRIVERS called BOOT.DRIVER.   I know that file is not part of 5.0, is
it expansion for 5.0.2?  If not, what is it's use and what would the system
expect from it if BOOT.DRIVER existed?

  Last one:  I've heard conflicting stories about the GS keyboard buffer.  Is
it limited to 16 chars (plus 3 in the keyboard) or is it unlimited (within
reason) as I've read somewhere?

                                                   --- Jeff

-----------------=====================*====================------------------
|  Internet:    dickson@chaph.usc.edu       "Is my turn signal working?"    |
|  Compu$erve:  73617, 3005                    "Yes, no, yes, no, yes, ..." |
-----------------=====================*====================------------------

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (03/18/90)

dickson@aludra.usc.edu (Jeffrey Dickson) writes:
>   Within the Finder (file: START) there is code that looks very much like
> definitions for three menus labeled SEE FOLDERS, SEE FILES, and MAKE CHANGES.
> Each of these has the same selections: Nobody, Owner, Group, Owner & Group,
> and Everyone.  I realize these have to do with AppleTalk network support, but
> are these actually additional menus?  How are they activated and what's their
> use?

  Yes, you're correct about AppleShare use.  They are pop up menus
inside the info box for a directory on a server.  If you own the
directory, you can set the characteristics for it.  I thought this was
a nifty little feature when I stumbled across it...

>                                                    --- Jeff

		-Greg T.