[comp.sys.apple2] Mega II

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/18/90)

In article <1990Mar17.112032.18069@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>The Mega II was not originally designed for the IIGS and its presence is
>the root cause of many common complaints about the IIGS as a product, ...

I don't follow the logic.  Certainly compatibility with existing Apple II
peripherals and software adds substantially to the value of the IIGS, not
detracts from it.  Since existing Apple II peripherals were designed to
work at 1MHz, the IIGS had to slow down when accessing them.  Similar
comments apply to the weird Apple II graphic modes.  If I had wanted to
buy a computer that would be incompatible with my shelves full of Apple
II software, I sure as hell wouldn't have bought one based on the 65816.
In fact I'd probably have gotten a PC clone despite its architectural
ugliness, simply because of the vastly superior availability of new
software.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/18/90)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>In article <1990Mar17.112032.18069@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>>The Mega II was not originally designed for the IIGS and its presence is
>>the root cause of many common complaints about the IIGS as a product, ...

>I don't follow the logic.  Certainly compatibility with existing Apple II
>peripherals and software adds substantially to the value of the IIGS, not
>detracts from it.

I never said scrap the II compatibility, I said scrap the Mega II. The Mega II
has to run at 1 Mhz and in the GS that's a big problem. If they had implemented
its functions in a more distributed manner then the only part of the machine
that would run slow would be the actual expansion slots. When the GS was
originally designed they barely had the technological capability to do this,
but for a couple of years now it is has been well within Apple's custom chip
capability.

> Since existing Apple II peripherals were designed to
>work at 1MHz, the IIGS had to slow down when accessing them.

That is true.

> Similar
>comments apply to the weird Apple II graphic modes.

That is NOT true. The video RAM could have easily been made to run fast, but
as they had already developed the Mega II and had to use it for something (I
keep forgetting money wasn't as plentiful back then) it ended up going in
anyway.

In fact, you can implement the Apple II video modes with VRAMs (a la Mac II
video cards) and it is *EASIER* than the new GS video modes. (The explanation
of why this is true is a bit technical about how VRAMs work, so I won't post it
unless a lot of people ask. I'll gladly answer via mail.)

[ random flaming about non-compatibility with the II deleted ]

What I keep trying to convince people is that the II compatibility is cheap and
important but the way it is implemented in the GS positively sucks and could be
done much better, especially now that Apple has more than adequate resources.

That's all I'm saying, nothing about dropping II compatibility which I wouldn't
give up for the world. I'm just saying that the GS needs a totally new chip set
and that without one the GS or its successors will never stand a chance in
today's market.

The custom chip set in the GS implements a logical construct, that of the
memory map and basic operation of the machine. We could scrap them all (not a
bad idea) and make a complete new set that is designed to work together a hell
of a lot better and more cost-efficiently but will still look the same to the
software so compatibility suffers not one whit. With the silicon we'd be saving
we could add more features to make the ToolBox's life easier, and my //f paper
has numerous suggestions as to what can be done in this regard.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

JLS139@psuvm.psu.edu (Abaddon) (03/19/90)

In article <1990Mar18.095408.1765@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu>,
toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) says:

>I never said scrap the II compatibility, I said scrap the Mega II. The Mega II
>has to run at 1 Mhz and in the GS that's a big problem. If they had
>implemented
>its functions in a more distributed manner then the only part of the machine
>that would run slow would be the actual expansion slots. When the GS was

    Correct me if I am wrong, but under DOS 3.3 wasn't disk access based
in software (RAM) and wasn't writing based on critical timing loops.
Seems to me that RAM would have to be running at 1Mhz for disk access(writes).
Or am I wrong? How do the accelerator boards for older ]['s work in this
instince?

...jeff stine...<jls139@psuvm.psu.edu>...Abaddon...

  "fiery the angels fell..."

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/19/90)

JLS139@psuvm.psu.edu (Abaddon) writes:

>In article <1990Mar18.095408.1765@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu>,
>toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) says:
>>
>>I never said scrap the II compatibility, I said scrap the Mega II. The Mega II
>>has to run at 1 Mhz and in the GS that's a big problem. If they had
>>implemented
>>its functions in a more distributed manner then the only part of the machine
>>that would run slow would be the actual expansion slots. When the GS was

>    Correct me if I am wrong, but under DOS 3.3 wasn't disk access based
>in software (RAM) and wasn't writing based on critical timing loops.
>Seems to me that RAM would have to be running at 1Mhz for disk access(writes).
>Or am I wrong? How do the accelerator boards for older ]['s work in this
>instince?

The RAM doesn't have to run at 1 Mhz, in fact it doesn't -- it runs at 2 mhz
so the video (or refresh in a GS) can do its thing while the CPU is not using
the RAM. If the RAM is run faster but is made available to the CPU when it asks
for it, then the CPU runs at 1 mhz and the disk access still works; the RAM
could be doing other stuff without the CPU caring or the disk messing up. Apple
has yet to do something more useful with this idea, but my proposed //f would
find plenty of uses for it (background DMA to sound and video during disk
access with no penalties -- yeah!)

All accelerators (and the GS) have to know when a disk access is occuring.
They figure out when the disk motor has been turned on, and slow down to 1 Mhz
until it is turned off. The GS actually detects the exact locations that turn
the drive motor on and off; most accelerators slow down for 50 microseconds
after any one of sixteen locations are accessed -- for disk drives and many
other peripherals that might need to run at 1 mhz this stays in effect because
the card is re-accessed and the 50 microsecond timer starts again. (AE's
transwarp for the ][+ & //e does this, if memory serves me, and one card in
particular -- forget which -- didn't work with it because it had to run at
1 mhz but it didn't reaccess its card and restart the 50 microsecond timer
fast enough... I remember reading about it in the Nibble letter column some
years ago.)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu