[comp.sys.apple2] looking for game controllers

finn@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (John Finn) (03/17/90)

   I'd like to purchase joystick and paddles for an Apple ][+. Local
computer stores don't carry any, and claim it will take weeks (or
longer) to order a joystick - and paddles don't appear in their
catalogs.
   Can someone suggest a mail-order outfit where I can order some
game controllers?  Please reply via e-mail, and thanks.
                                                J. Finn
INTERNET: finn@umvlsi.ECS.UMASS.EDU   University of Massachusetts
  BITNET: finn@umaecs                 Amherst, MA

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (03/17/90)

you want a game controler?

	go to radio shack and buy 2 150k pots
	buy a 16pin cable (I don't know what it's called)
	buy some wire and connect to the appropriate pins
	buy two fire buttons and connect them also.
	If you want pinouts, I can give them to you.
	but why pay $40 when you can make your own for $5
	or otherwise, radio shack also sells an
	apple compatible joystick for about $20

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/20/90)

In article <NAGENDRA.90Mar16154632@bucsf.bu.edu> nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) writes:
>you want a game controler?
>
>	go to radio shack and buy 2 150k pots
>	buy a 16pin cable (I don't know what it's called)
>	buy some wire and connect to the appropriate pins
>	buy two fire buttons and connect them also.
>	If you want pinouts, I can give them to you.
>	but why pay $40 when you can make your own for $5
>	or otherwise, radio shack also sells an
>	apple compatible joystick for about $20
>
>nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu

Make sure you get linear potentiometers.  When I lived in Taiwan, the
Apple joysticks (old Hayes Mach III knockoffs) all used regular pots
(tuned for audio volume controls?) which meant that you had pretty
good control for left/top side movement, but the joystick would go to
crap for paddle values greater than 127.  This usually manifested as
unequal responses in moving left/right or up/down.  Some of those
old Taiwan joysticks didn't even use 150K pots...they used 100Ks and
fudged.  This is all back from about 4 years ago...things may have
changed.

Hayes used to advertise their linear potentiometers as a great boon to
joystick response...it's true.  CH makes the best durn joysticks I've
ever come across.
--
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
          |   User Friendly Killing Machines   |   America Online: AFC DaveS
// Infinitum!   // Infinitum!   // Infinitum!   // Infinitum!   // Inifinitum!