[comp.sys.apple2] AppleSingle/AppleDouble ?

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (03/10/90)

Hokay, will someone please define AppleSingle and AppleDouble, and where
I might find some info on them?  Thanks.

Also, since I haven't tried this, what happens when you try to use
AFE to convert a forked file?  Death?  Or, does it say "Oh, I've got
a resource and a data fork here, I'll just put them in the right place."

<ha>

Hmm.. speaking of resource and data forks and the like, given an Apple II
version of AFE, what would people use it for?  On my little mental list
of possible uses I have sound, font, and text files.   More, please.

Finally, to go MacAFE one better, (maybe) would people find any use
to read a Mac hard drive and transfer files off it?

(hoh hoh.. guess what I'm up to? :-)

--Chan
...why, oh why, does prosel take so long to restore a hard drive?...
    Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <!> I don't speak for SRI.
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
  "And now, the penguin on top of the television set will explode."

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (03/13/90)

In article <14075@fs2.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) writes:

> Hokay, will someone please define AppleSingle and AppleDouble, and where
> I might find some info on them?  Thanks.

AppleSingle and AppleDouble are archival formats for the Apple II.  They are
designed to allow fully recoverable storage of files from other filesystems:
filesystems that might have names illegal on the ProDOS filesystem, files
which might be forked, etc.  AppleSingle stores the entire file into the
data fork of a file.  AppleDouble uses two files: a header and a data file.
For full documentation, read the File Type notes on these two formats; they're
published by AIIDTS and available from most II archive sites.

> Also, since I haven't tried this, what happens when you try to use
> AFE to convert a forked file?  Death?  Or, does it say "Oh, I've got
> a resource and a data fork here, I'll just put them in the right place."

It ignores the resource fork altogether, treating as if it only had a data
fork.  If you're trying to translate from ProDOS to HFS, then you get an
error when it tries to read from a storage type it doesn't recognize.

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (03/16/90)

In article <14075@fs2.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) writes:
>Hokay, will someone please define AppleSingle and AppleDouble, and where
>I might find some info on them?  Thanks.

	AppleSingle and AppleDouble are ways of encoding Apple's irregular
file info (including forks) on a more standard filesystem. Basically, they're
just wrappers including the file's real name (so, if you wanted to stick
"Jason's Misc Stuff" from a HFS disk onto a MS-DOS disk, you wouldn't have
a problem), it's type, auxtype, whatever. Anyways, AppleSingle can include
two forks in one file, whereas AppleDouble splits a forked file into two
separate files.

	I'm also almost positive that there are filetype notes on these,
with something like $e0/0000 and $e0/0001 (?). You can get those from
apple.com.

> [Asks if Apple File Exchange can handle GS/OS forked files - I dunno]
>Hmm.. speaking of resource and data forks and the like, given an Apple II
>version of AFE, what would people use it for?  On my little mental list
>of possible uses I have sound, font, and text files.   More, please.

	Who cares? It just needs to exist...

>Finally, to go MacAFE one better, (maybe) would people find any use
>to read a Mac hard drive and transfer files off it?

	It'd be nice - you'd have to make your data structures dynamic,
but I don't think it'd make coding any harder...

>(hoh hoh.. guess what I'm up to? :-)

	Gee, whatever in the world? Whatever it is, I'd be interested in
seeing early versions of it...

--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (03/20/90)

In article <1175@madnix.UUCP> jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) writes:
>In article <14075@fs2.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) writes:
>>Hokay, will someone please define AppleSingle and AppleDouble, and where
>>I might find some info on them?  Thanks.
[okay, okay, I found the technotes.  Thanks to all who pointed the way.]

>	Who cares? It just needs to exist...
"Presto!" ("uh, Bullwinkle, it doesn't work that way.")

>>Finally, to go MacAFE one better, (maybe) would people find any use
>>to read a Mac hard drive and transfer files off it?
>
>	It'd be nice - you'd have to make your data structures dynamic,
>but I don't think it'd make coding any harder...

Don't even have to do that.  Split your hard drive into two (or more)
partitions, format one in ProDOS, the other in HFS.  Have to figure out
how to write GS/OS programs now, 'cause you can't get to the other
side easily (if at all) from Prodos...