[comp.sys.apple2] Apple has a busy day

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (03/20/90)

Yes, Apple had a big day today:

A new Mac II, new system software, etc...

I was hoping someone from Apple would post the press release, but
Apple introduced the Mac //fx, which sounds like a VERY impressive
machine..someone else can provide all the details, but the gist is that
most (if not ALL) of the Mac's speed bottlenecks have been removed.

However, there was no word on Apple // products (at least, not that we
heard here at Princeton...but then, we get only Mac stuff, so maybe they
only informed us of the Mac stuff).

Andy Nicholas posted a few days ago that something good for Apple //
users would happen today--did I miss it?  [btw, that isn't an exact
quote---I think he said something like things will turn around, or
something].

Please tell me there was a Rom 04 machine introduced today...

				Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (03/20/90)

The Mac //fx is indeed a screamer of a machine. It is said to burn at
40 MHz and to be the fastest Mac ever. All in all, it seems a little
pointless to make a mac run mac software that fast. However, I _would_
like to see the thing running as a workstation under MacMach (a
version of Unix that CMU supports) but I don't think I will have the
chance, and neither does the rest of the industry.

You see, the //fx is to cost around 10 grand for the base model CPU.

Lose. By the time you have a megapixel monitor, memory and storage,
you're over $15,000! Go for a SparcStation or a DECStation or something
else with a 3-button mouse.

In the Apple // world, Apple announced a new SCSI card that can pump
around a meg per second through direct memory access on a //gs. I
think it is about half that for the //e. And the new Mac Hypercard 2.0
promises to be compatible with the (hint, hint) upcoming //gs Hypercard.

Things are happening for the //, I'm comvinced, but they could come a
little quicker!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |               |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/20/90)

In article <14694@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) writes:

> Andy Nicholas posted a few days ago that something good for Apple //
> users would happen today--did I miss it?  [btw, that isn't an exact
> quote---I think he said something like things will turn around, or
> something].

Nah, I was just referring to (think it was todd's post) about the lack of
decent development stuff for the gs and remarked that the lack of good
development stuff might change on monday... well, I was wrong... I had hoped
to be right, but the person working on this particular project was delayed
a bit (not me).  Oh well, sit and wait... :-)

> Please tell me there was a Rom 04 machine introduced today...

Nope, sorry, this has nothing to do with Apple Computer, Inc.  :-)

>Kent Dickey

andy

--

Yeah!