[comp.sys.apple2] IIgs <-> Mac portability?

joe_hollingsworth@gryphon.cis.ohio-state.edu (03/21/90)

I have a C program currently running on a //e and IBM PC.
I want to  port it to the //gs (an possibly the Mac).

My question, assuming I use standard //gs toolbox stuff to
create, menus, dialogs, notifications, etc. on the //gs, AND
I continue to use C, how much work will be needed to
port a //gs version to the Mac (or vice versa)?

What's the best way to write a user interface program on the //gs
so that it ports easily to the Mac?

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Hollingsworth  Computer and Information Science @ OSU
holly@cis.ohio-state.edu  or ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!holly

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (03/22/90)

A lot, since, you have to redo everything with the managers,
i.e. all input output must be redone.

nagendra

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/22/90)

In article <78355@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, joe_hollingsworth@gryphon.cis.ohio-state.edu writes:

> I have a C program currently running on a //e and IBM PC.
> I want to  port it to the //gs (an possibly the Mac).
>
> My question, assuming I use standard //gs toolbox stuff to
> create, menus, dialogs, notifications, etc. on the //gs, AND
> I continue to use C, how much work will be needed to
> port a //gs version to the Mac (or vice versa)?
>
> What's the best way to write a user interface program on the //gs
> so that it ports easily to the Mac?

Don't use _TaskMaster.  This will, of course, make your life fairly painful
when writing that IIGS version, but because you didn't make things easy
on yourself, you'll have an easier time porting it to the Mac.  See, as far
as I know, the Mac doesn't have anything like _TaskMaster.  IIGS Toolbox
programmers are really spoiled in that we have a much better environment to
work in than the Mac.  On the Mac you have to handle each type of event
yourself.  BTW, most of the toolbox stuff on the IIGS is duplicated on the Mac,
but a few significant things that the IIGS has, like _TaskMaster, aren't
available on the Mac... the Apple guys could fill you in better than I can.

And, if you're serious about porting things, buy yourself a Mac (since you're
going to port this there) and write your code in C.  Then recompile it with
MPW IIGS and move it to the IIGS. (or vice versa, whatever).

> Joe

andy

--

Yeah!