[comp.sys.apple2] C compiiler on Apple II+ ?

mck@hpcuhc.HP.COM (Doug McKenzie) (03/15/90)

Hi,

I have a friend who's interested in developing programming skills.  He has
an apple II+, and I suggested he learn C.  Is this a reasonable combination?

Are there C compilers available for the II+ that are both inexpensive and
usable?  This will be his first language (well, other than English), so I
suppose documentation ought to be decent.  Uh oh, cheap, good, and
documented -- an unusual mixture.

Any help is much appreciated.

Doug McKenzie
...hplabs!hpda!hpcugsya!mck
   OR
mck@hpcugsya.hp.com
(408) 447-4428

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/17/90)

In article <105500001@hpcuhc.HP.COM> mck@hpcuhc.HP.COM (Doug McKenzie) writes:
>I have a friend who's interested in developing programming skills.  He has
>an apple II+, and I suggested he learn C.  Is this a reasonable combination?

No!  C support for the 8-bit Apples is almost nonexistent and what does
exist is painful to use.  (Manx Aztec C is usable with a hard drive, but
not very workable with floppies).

>This will be his first language ...

C is not a good programming language for absolute novices.
Why not have him learn AppleSoft which is well-documented
and easy to use?

mck@hpcuhc.HP.COM (Doug McKenzie) (03/21/90)

> C is not a good programming language for absolute novices.
> Why not have him learn AppleSoft which is well-documented
> and easy to use?

Well, I can't help him with AppleSoft.  I understand C is difficult to learn.
My thinking was that the extra struggle might balance the longer learning
curve from language 1 to [languane 2 to] "C".  Of course C and Unix is where
he should end up !?

Thanks for your response.

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (03/21/90)

Actually, Forth dimension is where it's at and is goin to be for some time.
For those who don't know, Forth Dimension is a language developed for the
MAC in which the user does not need to know how to program, he simply tells
the computer what he wants, and it's done.

nagendra

) (03/22/90)

In article <NAGENDRA.90Mar21011918@bucsf.bu.edu> nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) writes:
>Actually, Forth dimension is where it's at and is goin to be for some time.
>For those who don't know, Forth Dimension is a language developed for the
>MAC in which the user does not need to know how to program, he simply tells
>the computer what he wants, and it's done.                  ^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^
 ^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^  ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^                   || |||||| |||||
 ||| |||||||| |||| || |||||  ||| |||| ||||                   || |||||| |||||

Forgive me, but isn't this what programming is; telling the computer what
you want it to do??? :^>

: The views expressed are not represent- :   See you in The Funny Pages,   :
:  ative of my school, employer, or any  :   The Hoz!!! (Samuel Hozman)    :
: other sentinent being; they are random :      hozman@nunki.usc.edu       :
:  words spewed forth from my computer.  :    Fight On, USC Trojans!!!     :

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (03/22/90)

> In article <NAGENDRA.90Mar21011918@bucsf.bu.edu> nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) writes:
>Actually, Forth dimension is where it's at and is goin to be for some time.
>For those who don't know, Forth Dimension is a language developed for the
>MAC in which the user does not need to know how to program, he simply tells
>the computer what he wants, and it's done.                  ^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^
>  ^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^  ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^                   || |||||| |||||
>  ||| |||||||| |||| || |||||  ||| |||| ||||                   || |||||| |||||

> Forgive me, but isn't this what programming is; telling the computer what
> you want it to do??? :^>

Programming's purpose is to instruct computers to perform a certain amount
of operations.  If a new programming language is developed so that the user
can have greater power to use his computer then it is a better method of
programming.  In the past, machine was the only language you could write
code in.  Some engineers got togather and developed FORTRAN.  It was the
third generation of programming.  Later, ALGOL was developed in order to
make programming more elegant.  ALGOL evolved into Pascal and later into C.
The next step in to go into a environment where the user simply tells the
computer what he wants done, the environment writes the necessary code.  In
order to implement such levels of usefullness, then you need a considerable
station to work on.

The original post was trying to say that it was developed for the mac
because it is the only environment suitable for these kinds of
advancements.  It won't come down to the Apple II, unless we get hordes of
new users and more umph inside the box.

nagendra