[comp.sys.apple2] Reading messages and other late-night activities

jerryn@pro-europa.cts.com (Jerry Norris) (03/18/90)

I'm working on being able to spool files from here for later perusal
in the morning, but there are a few things that I wanted to find
out... For instance:

> In article <13588@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM
(j.l.walters)
> writes:

How do you make sense out of this?  In particular, I'd like to know
what the item within the <> means.... The header to this message looks
like this:

> CS-ID: #97.comp/sys.apple2@pro-europa, 1032 chars
> Date: Sun, 18 Mar 90 05:45:24 CST
> From: greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender)
> Subject: Re: Lisp on the II

If I were to write about this "article" (which I am... heh), would I
write:

In article <97@wpi.wpi.edu> greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender)
writes:

thanks,
jerry.

jerryn@pro-europa.cts.com                    | "What do we do now?"
...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!jerryn| "I don't know. I'm making it
GEnie: Vermithrax                            |  up as I go along!"

In article <1871@crash.cts.com> jerryn@pro-europa.cts.com (Jerry Norris) writes:
>> In article <13588@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM
>(j.l.walters)
>> writes:
>

>How do you make sense out of this?  In particular, I'd like to know
>what the item within the <> means.... The header to this message looks
The stuff in <> is the article ID, equivalent in concept to the CS ID
you see in the headers on ProLine, but used in Unix News reading software.
| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 |   Home: 617/641-3805   |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. |                        |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |   BBS:  617/641-3722   |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. |   300/1200/2400 baud   |