[comp.sys.apple2] Apple Canada and SCSI card

sysop@pro-generic.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (03/24/90)

  We recieved what you might call an anual report from Apple Canada a few
months back. It's about 10 pages. It has pictures of all these higher up
people in the Apple Canada hierarchy. It has pictures of Mac's, lots of Macs.
But no where was there anything about an Apple II, or an Apple IIgs, no
pictures, nothing. The closest thing they come to is the first paragraph where
the brochure says "in 1981, Apple Canada started with 15 employees, now we
have 400".

  I went around Fest '88 with a few friends of mine and these pathetic little
bright pink/read/yellow stickers saying "*#$% Mac's". At the time that was for
the fact that Cambridge Marketing had allowed Mac's to intrude on an Apple II
only festival. Now I wish I had the same stickers, and can go around Apple
Canada sticking them on every employee's car, including Dave Rae.

---

Spent a good part of yesterday (thursday) with a DMA SCSI card. Really nice
stuff. Booting off of a Chinook 40MB drive (conner mechanism) into finder took
11 seconds approx (with Transwarp GS, of course). Loading large applications
took significantly less time, copying files was a dream. Random access to the
drive is not significantly sped up. And until many applications recieve
updates to start using the power of GS/OS, the SCSI card won't shine.

We had the new SCSI card going with 6 partitions, it was wonderful.

An Apple IIgs with this new SCSI card (the old one was fast as well), a
Transwarp IIgs and 2 megs of memory is fast, really fast. The desktop is as
fast as a IIci, and I've used them both. To the untrained individual, using a
IIci and IIgs (as above).. the difference is nothing significant. Apple is
simply chicken to think of making the IIgs any faster, because it could be a
killer machine.

The net as adequately proven that the IIgs can be a much better machine than
it is now with some minor work.. Imagine what it could become with some major
work?

Still working on a new version of GenericComm, mouse support, some keyboard
remapping features, buffering, modified terminal emulation, better dial lit
support (much better) and soon some transfer protocols.

InterNet: sysop@pro-generic.cts.com          | AmericaONLine: MMontano
UUCP: ..uunet!cacijl!crash!pro-generic!sysop | ProLine: sysop@pro-generic
I wrote GenericComm, and am finishing some protocols for it. Give me TIME!
Long live the IIgs, The Cure and Toyota MR2's.
MS-DOS machines may outsell other machines, but how many are actually IN-USE?