[comp.sys.apple2] contacts in Norman, OK

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/17/90)

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:

>Matt Deatherage writes:
>> Todd, what would you do if you were working 60+ hour weeks developing new
>> products for the Apple II just to read on newsgroups like this one that
>> you and your coworkers are "developing at a snail's pace"?

>I'd say to my superiors that I needed a greater number of people helping out
>on these projects.

Thank you Stephen. You've hit the nail on the head.

Matt, one guy or even a hundred working their tails off is still a snail's
pace if the machine itself isn't kept competitive with its opponents in the
market and that's exactly what's happened to the GS and even the 8 bit II's.

The GS could have been vastly improved quite a while ago but Apple was too
stressed trying to get the Mac into a serious fighting postion with IBM;
they seem to be turning around, but Apple is a much bigger company now; it
will take a lot longer than everyone expects, especially when the dealer
network finally gets a much needed refresher course in how to serve and not
sell-sell-sell.

The 8 bit II's could be manufactured really cheap and might even be K-mart-able
(horrors, but I mean that cheap) and would suit the people who just want to
run AppleWorks or do something else simple and otherwise not worry about the
machine. These people don't pay a lot either and they won't be buying a Mac or
GS anytime soon, probably a Clone, and they won't be using its full capability
either so they are still technically throwing money away that they wouldn't
have to if a cheaper machine still addressed their needs adequately.

Apple has obtained access to a lot of state of the art technology and they have
so many low end opportunities no one else has, if they'd only realize it. 8 bit
technology can be made so cheaply that if people would stop thinking 'latest
technology' then we might get some computers that address the diversity of the
market -- by being cheap and reliable and more cost-effective than the latest.
XT Clones still sell briskly... Apple could make some serious capital from the
same effect.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

marks@pro-sherwood.cts.com (Mark Scango) (03/24/90)

You speak of many un-announced additions to the Apple II line that interest
me. Can you elaborate on the system v6.0 and the DMA SCSI.
                                   -= Mark S =-