[comp.sys.apple2] HP Deskwriter with Apple II?

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (03/23/90)

Folks,

My wife uses a Mac and I have an Apple IIGS.   Currently we share a
borrowed AppleTalk Imagewriter II for our printer.  Both of us can
access it through appletalk and it works pretty well.

My wife wants higher quality output and we might have to give up the
AppleTalk imagewriter soon.   The obvious choice would be a
LaserWriter.  Unfortunately, as you all know, these babies are
prohibitively expensive.

We looked at an HP DeskWriter today.  Its print quality is very good
and I think it will do what we need for the Mac.  We won't be able to
share it over appletalk, I know it is not an ApplTalk device. I would
expect to have to talk to it serially, with a data switch, but....
Its a Mac-only printer right?

questions

1) If I had a serial switch, and hooked the Apple IIGS and the Mac to
it, can it print in "DUMB" mode?  Can I have it use an internal font,
and simply print text sent to it?  Could I use it this way for Apple
listings, plain documents and such?

2) Has anyone heard of, seen or worked on a GS/OS printer driver for
this printer?   If so, where?   If not, can anyone give me a contact
at HP to call about getting the info I would need to write a driver?

3) What's involved in writing a driver?   I have TML Pascal and have
done a variety of programming projects but my systems programming, and
especially Apple IIGS systems programming experience it extremely
limited. (I read magazines and newsletters and read APDALOG and can
follow along in the Toolbox books.)

In the worst case, I will have to buy two printers, a DeskWriter for
her and an ImageWriter for me, but I really don't want to do this.
Are there drivers available for any other high quality printers that
could possibly interfact to both the Mac and Apple IIGS (Besides the
Apple Printers)?

Suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Seymour

diz@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Steven Disbrow) (03/24/90)

My old roommate and I shared a HP DeskJet between an AT Clone (his) and a IIGS
(mine).  Basically, we ran (long!) cables from his machine and mine into an
AB switch box.  The output from that box went to another that allowed us to
select between the DeskJet and an ImageWriter. His AT had a whole slew of
DeskJet drivers, but, since the GS has no such drivers, I had to use the
optional EPSON emulation cartridge and print to it using the EPSON driver.
The output was less than wonderful.

We started to write a driver for the thing a couple of times, but It never
worked out.   The information you need to write a IIGS printer driver is in
one of the Apple II TechNotes... forgive me, but I forget exactly which one.

However, it might not be necessary.  One of my more reliable sources has told
me that a certain company (who makes one hell of a great IIGS specific HD
Backup program), will be releasing a set of IIGS drivers for ALL HP printers
at either the spring or autum AppleFest.  But, it's just a rumor.

 Diz

 -My-
 Name:    Steven W. Disbrow - Publisher of GS+ Magazine    | My Inane Quote:
 Address: POB 15366, Chattanooga, TN 37415 (U.S.A.)________|  "What's all
 Voice:   (615) 870-4960 |ProLine: diz@pro-gsplus |<-other |   this then?"
 BBS:     (615) 875-4607 |America Online: Obnoxio |<-stuff |   Mr. Python