[comp.sys.apple2] *** ULTIMA VI ***

kermie@pro-lep.cts.com (Prince Kermie) (03/22/90)

Here's your chance to have a say on wether or not you want Ultima VI written
for the Apple II or not..the following post is being reprinted from Applelink
and is for the benifit of those who enjoy the Ultima Saga

--------------------------cut here---------------------------------

Actually, speaking as a Producer at Origin, I'd be glad to discuss it with
qualified Apple programmers.  However, under the following conditions:

1) Play Ultima VI first.  Don't speculate about what U6 is, and expect that an
Apple port would be a piece of cake.

2) Be willing to do it for 0 advance funding.  I'm dubious enough about its
feasibility that I'm not willing to risk ANY of OSI's money on it. (On the
other hand, we CAN offer decent royalties once it's done...)

3) Have some decent credentials.  A solid track record.  A good Apple demo.
The ability to produce code on time, without bugs.

So, we're asking for the impossible, and promising nothing up front. However,
if you're confident you can do it (again, once you've  seriously analyzed U6),
drop me a line.  The address is:

 Jeff Johannigman
 Origin Systems
 110 Wild Basin Rd. #330
 Austin, TX  78727

PS: before you do this, ask me about the sales projections on U6, and you can
figure out whether the royalties would be worth a year of your life.

---

Here is ORIGIN's OFFICIAL current position, from Greg Malone, Marketing and
Communications Manager for Origin:

or not ULTIMA VI:The False Prophet is going to be made available on the Apple
platform, I'd like to fill you in on ORIGIN's current tt view.

Unlike all previous ULTIMA's, number 6 is the first one which was completely
designed and implemented on the IBM PC (& compatibles) first. When Richard
"Lord British" Garriott learned that he could make use of the hugely growing
IBM compatible market which has machines featuring 640K RAM, a hard drive, and
256-color graphics, he couldn't resist the opportunity to as he put it,
"...create the ultimate ULTIMA!  " Couple that with the ever disturbing fact
that the Apple market is continuing to disintegrate at an alarming rate
(beginning with base support from Apple Computer, Inc., and trickling down to
the Apple-specific magazines and even to disaffected Apple users), it is li
ttle wonder that the question about developing ULTIMA on the Apple has arisen.

As of this date, a technical evaluation of such an endeavour is being
conducted by ORIGIN. When one considers the daunting task of converting a 640K
game to 128K and doing so in a timely and cost-efficient manner, the air of
pessimism is unavoidable. Also, it is a widely recognized trend among
entertainment software publishers today to focus title development on the
remaining strong markets, namely IBM & compatibles, Amiga (especially for
Europe) and the Commodore 64. (This mix is certain to evolve and change as
time passes!)

However, the subject regarding an Apple ULTIMA VI will not be entirely
dedcided until all of the facts are in, including whatever comment or
enthusiasm YOU (the Apple users) can muster. If you wish to express your
support for an Apple version of ULTIMA VI, you should send by U.S. Mail a
letter to the address below. Please refrain from sending such a comm
communication via this electronic network.   Also, while sending us your
comments, send a copy of your letter to your local software retailer and to
favorite   Apple magazine publisher. If you don't, you could be
fighting a lost cause.

Send comments to:

Apple ULTIMA Comments
ORIGIN P.O. Box 161750
Austin, TX  78716

The rest is up to yall :)

Tremain:if you read this, contact me about the Austin Yacht Club
_____

UUCP: crash!pro-lep!kermie
ARPA: crash!pro-lep!kermie@nosc.mil
INET: kermie@pro-lep.cts.com

cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger) (03/24/90)

Greg Malone writes:

Unlike all previous ULTIMA's, number 6 is the first one which was
completely designed and implemented on the IBM PC (& compatibles) first.
When Richard "Lord British" Garriott learned that he could make use of
the hugely growing IBM compatible market which has machines featuring
640K RAM, a hard drive, and 256-color graphics, he couldn't resist the
opportunity to as he put it, "...create the ultimate ULTIMA! "

-end-

Origin seems to have never heard about the Apple //gs, which has 4096
colors, 800K fast disk drives standard (hard drives are becoming fairly
common, as well), 1.25MB memory on the average, plus a minor programming
aid known simply as the Toolbox.  This compares pretty well to the IBM
PC you mentioned.  I would HATE (strong emphasis here) to see Origin
stop developing programs for the 8-bit Apples, but porting Ultima VI
over to the //gs should have no problems with limitations of the
hardware.

Just my opinion here, but I feel that >any< of your games, if re-written
specificly for the //gs, would be simply amazing.  For an example,
consider "The Bard's Tale" series from Interplay.  Their //gs versions
are out-and-out hellacious.  Take their kind of graphics & playability,
and add to that the much greater depth of Origins' games, and you just
might end up with one >damn good< game.  I was, and still am,
disappointed that Origin has never tried to take advantage of the //gs.

Along these lines, why did Origin decide to write code for almost every
kind of sound system ever made except the //gs' native sound abilities
in Ultima V?  It certainly would have been easy to do, and the Ensoniq
chip is better than all of the other alternatives that actually were
supported.  This seems to be a major oversight.

If it seems that I'm too much in favor of the //gs, stop and imagine
just how good the //gs versions of Origins' games could be.  No flames,
please: any criticisms were meant to be taken constructively.

				-- Charles William Swiger

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (03/24/90)

Charles William Swiger writes:
>Origin seems to have never heard about the Apple //gs...
[other stuff]
>Along these lines, why did Origin decide to write code for almost every
>kind of sound system ever made except the //gs' native sound abilities

I have an old issue of COMPUTE!s Apple Applications magazine, in which
they talk about the IIgs and interview various game developers.  Well,
the guy who represented Origin said that the first game they would produce
for the IIgs was Ultima V.

Didn't Lord British write his first games on the Apple?

Howard C. Huang                        Internet:  huang@husc4.harvard.edu
Sophomore Computer Science Major       Bitnet:    huang@husc4.BITNET
Mather House 426, Harvard College      UUCP:      huang@husc4.UUCP (I think)
Cambridge, MA 02138                    Apple II:  ftp husc6.harvard.edu

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (03/25/90)

In article <2335@husc6.harvard.edu> huang@husc4.UUCP (Howard Huang) writes:
>I have an old issue of COMPUTE!s Apple Applications magazine, in which
>they talk about the IIgs and interview various game developers.  Well,
>the guy who represented Origin said that the first game they would produce
>for the IIgs was Ultima V.

Yeah, but it never appeared.

>Didn't Lord British write his first games on the Apple?

Anybody out there remember "Akalabeth"?  Picture Ultima I dungeons, with
some (very) crude shape table terrain for the outside.  Actually, the only
action outside was trying to find the dungeon...

His next game, written when (if I recall correctly) he was 17, was Ultima.
Considering the number of sequels and rip-offs, I'd say the name is
appropriate.

Trivia question: who remembers what you were supposed to do after winning
the original Ultima?  (you have to be specific...  e-mail only if you
want to answer).

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden