[comp.sys.apple2] Memory

jayg@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay Giurleo) (03/20/90)

 I was interested in upgrading my IIgs's memory.  Currently, I own an Apple
memory expansion board, with 768K, however, I'd like more.
 Could someone recommend a decent place that I could buy new chips?  Also, what
TYPE of chips should I be looking for?  Thanks.

           -Jayg

shood@pro-tcc.cts.com (Steve Hood) (03/23/90)

jayg@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay Giurleo) writes:

> I was interested in upgrading my IIgs's memory.  Currently, I own an Apple
> memory expansion board, with 768K, however, I'd like more.
> Could someone recommend a decent place that I could buy new chips?

> Also, what
> TYPE of chips should I be looking for?  Thanks.

Well, if the card you have is the Apple board, you can buy 256x8 chips at
around 120ns.  However, the Apple memory card can only be upgraded from 768K
to 1mb, so you'll have to buy a 1/4 of a meg and no less...

Also, here's something to think about.  Because of pressure from companies
like IBM and Apple (who are putting out high-memory machines now), RAM prices
are expected to drop for only a little while longer.  In a couple months, be
watching to see them sky rocket!  If you're going to get some more RAM, it
would be best to do it now and save money...

  |            |                                       _|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_   |
  |            | ProLine:  shood@pro-tcc              |                 |  |
  | Steve Hood | Internet: shood@pro-tcc.cts.com      | WD65c816 Rules! |  |
  |            | UUCP:     crash!pro-tcc!shood        |_________________|  |
  |____________|________________________________________|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|____|
  | Disclaimer:  My opinions are not yours, and let's keep it that way...  |

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/24/90)

In article <6799.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc> shood@pro-tcc.cts.com (Steve Hood) writes:
>jayg@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay Giurleo) writes:
>> Also, what TYPE of chips should I be looking for?  Thanks.
>Well, if the card you have is the Apple board, you can buy 256x8 chips at
>around 120ns.

[presumably that's 256Kbit]

I've heard that they must also be "CAS before RAS",
which leads to my own question:

I have an MDIdeas OctoRAM and would like to add memory to it.
It takes SIMMs, but it's not clear to me that Macintosh SIMMs would work,
because when I looked in a Mac tech manual it described Mac memory as
being accessed RAS before CAS.
So, will 120ns Mac SIMMs work in the OctoRAM in my IIGS, and if not
where can I purchase SIMMs that will work?  (4 1Mbyte ones desired.)

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (03/26/90)

I have the OctoRAM board with 8Megs of Macintosh SIMMS in it.  Works like a
champ.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan, BCS Mike, or MichaelT34
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"And the sweating of their souls will not wash the blood from their hands."
                                                                  - Phil Ochs