[comp.sys.apple2] GS System bad codes

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (03/26/90)

So, my GS is sick.  I run the self test on it and get this nice cryptic
number back:

System Bad: 093B7200

Anyone out there know what this means?  There isn't a list of these codes
in the GS Owners manual, which isn't too surprising, but there also isn't
one in the Hardware Reference manual, which did surprise me.  I also
can't find a technote that sheds any light on the matter.

I imagine that it has something to do with the sound area of things, as
Soundsmith won't run anymore, and it used to. (and I've got 3 megs of memory)

Sooo, can anyone help me?

--Chan
    Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <!> I don't speak for SRI.
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
  "And now, the penguin on top of the television set will explode."

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (03/26/90)

In article <14638@fs2.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) writes:

>So, my GS is sick.  I run the self test on it and get this nice cryptic
>number back:
>
>System Bad: 093B7200
>
>Anyone out there know what this means?  There isn't a list of these codes
>in the GS Owners manual, which isn't too surprising, but there also isn't
>one in the Hardware Reference manual, which did surprise me.  I also
>can't find a technote that sheds any light on the matter.

The 09 indicats that the ADB test failed, and 3B72 is the (incorrect)
checksum generated.  (00 means there was not a problems generating the
checksum.)  You might want to try disconnecting your keyboard, mouse, and
any other ADB peripherals to see if they (and not the motherboard) are
the source of the problem.

>    Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <!> I don't speak for SRI.

Henry

---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

diz@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Steven Disbrow) (03/28/90)

Chan, that number looks  VERY familiar... If I remember correctly, the 09
means that it is an Apple Desktop Bus error.  i.e. your keyboard or mouse or
trackball, etc is bad.  In my case, I was trying to use an OLD Kensington
Turbo Mouse with a ROM 3 IIGS.

Anyway, to figure out which ADB device is bad, just pull them all and then run
the self-test each time you re-attach a device (don't forget to turn off your
computer before you plug/unplug something!)  To run the self-test with no
keyboard attached, use a joystick (the fire buttons correspond to the Command
and Option keys on the keyboard.)

 Hope that helps.

 Diz

 -My-
 Name:    Steven W. Disbrow - Publisher of GS+ Magazine    | My Inane Quote:
 Address: POB 15366, Chattanooga, TN 37415 (U.S.A.)________|  "What's all
 Voice:   (615) 870-4960 |ProLine: diz@pro-gsplus |<-other |   this then?"
 BBS:     (615) 875-4607 |America Online: Obnoxio |<-stuff |   Mr. Python