[comp.sys.apple2] Rocket Ranger on a HD

diz@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Steven Disbrow) (03/30/90)

Let's see if I remember how it works...

For the best performance, you have to use two drives (or two HD partitions)
and they MUST be named the same as the original Rocket Ranger disks
(Rocket.Ranger1 and Rocket.Ranger2).  Since the damn thing insists on booting
into an old version of ProDOS 16, it's NOT a good idea to put Rocket.Ranger1
on the boot partition of your HD (unless you have a Vulcan and can change that
boot partition stuff on the fly).

 What I did was to copy Rocket.Ranger1 to my ROM disk and boot from there.  I
copied the folders from Rocket.Ranger2 to the root of my second HD partition
and renamed it Rocket.Ranger2 whenever I wanted to play.  If you don't have
enough memory for an 800K ROM disk, Running Rocket.Ranger1 from a floppy is
not that bad since most of the stuff in the game is on Rocket.Ranger2.

 Unfortunately, you can't copy both disks to the same drive, there are many
duplicate file/folder names on the two disks and the game does not seem to
work correctly if you just Replace Duplicates.  Either the contents of those
files are different on each disk or the pathnames are hardcoded to different
disks in different parts of the program.  (I finished the game pretty quick [I
was on a review deadline] and so I did not take the time to determine exactly
what the deal was).

  hope that helps!

 Diz

 -My-
 Name:    Steven W. Disbrow - Publisher of GS+ Magazine    | My Inane Quote:
 Address: POB 15366, Chattanooga, TN 37415 (U.S.A.)________|  "What's all
 Voice:   (615) 870-4960 |ProLine: diz@pro-gsplus |<-other |   this then?"
 BBS:     (615) 875-4607 |America Online: Obnoxio |<-stuff |   Mr. Python