[comp.sys.apple2] C compiler, question on Apple II graphics

ross@apollo.HP.COM (Mike Ross) (03/28/90)

Two questions for all you apple2ers:

1) Lots of debate has been seen in
this space about using compilers vs. assembly
language. For those of you who like assembly,
skip to next question. For those of you who are high
level language fans, I've heard complaints
that there are no good C compilers out there
for Apple II or Apple II GS systems.

Question: How many people are interested
in a reasonable ANSI C compiler for Apple II
systems? What would you pay for it?

2) Unrelated question. If you've used
one of the Carmen SanDiego programs,
or something similar, there are some
really great pictures produced there,
even with some simple but nifty animation.
How does one do this? I suspect that it has
to be done in assembler rather than Applesoft,
and makes use of storing the image in the
shape table, but I'm a compiler person, not a graphics whiz,
so maybe someone with more detailed knowledge
can enlighten me. I have an Apple II C with
a color composite monitor.

Thanks!
                  Mike Ross

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/28/90)

In article <49732c8f.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> ross@apollo.HP.COM (Mike Ross) writes:
>... I've heard complaints
>that there are no good C compilers out there
>for Apple II or Apple II GS systems.
>Question: How many people are interested
>in a reasonable ANSI C compiler for Apple II
>systems? What would you pay for it?

I'd pay for it about what I did pay for it: $150.  Even $300 is not
excessive for a first-rate software development environment,
which needs to include MUCH more than just a compiler (even if you
take "ANSI C compiler" to actually mean "standard conforming
implementation for a hosted environment", which includes the standard
library).  Debugging, editing, and access to the IIGS ToolBox are also
essential.

By the way, I don't think it's worth worrying about the 8-bit Apples,
apart from possibly selling software to folks who still use them.
I had both available for several months and found I never had any
reason to want to use my old Apple //e instead of the IIGS.  (Well,
actually there were a couple of copy-protected games that didn't work
with the IIGS, but that's not pertinent.)

ORCA/C will be just about ideal when the bugs that plagued Release
1.0 are fixed.  Then it would certainly qualify as a "reasonable
ANSI C compiler" for the IIGS.

rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) (03/30/90)

1.  I'd like to see an ANSI C compiler for the Apple 8-bits!  I'm tired of
hearing how great C is and not being able to use it!

2.  One way of doing animation on an Apple is by using shape tables and
DRAW/XDRAW to erase a shape from one place and redraw it elsewhere.  This
normally results in a lot of flickering - not to mention crude shapes.
Another way is to use bitmapped shapes.  These are shapes formatted in such a
form that they can be stored directly on the Apple screen (as opposed to
vector shapes, where the shapes are drawn by following the vectors).  Finally,
there's a method that grew out of bitmapped shapes: overlays.  These overlays
differ from bitmapped shapes only in that they aren't "shapes" as much as they
are picture fragments.

A way to see the difference is to imagine a stick figure raising its arm.
With typical shapes, you could have a shape of the whole figure defined in all
the intermediate phases.  You erase the old shape and draw the next in the
sequence until you get to the end.  Very bad flicker.  The next best way would
be to define just the moving part as a shape and operate as before.  Better,
but still leaves a lot to be desired.  Thirdly, you could take an area of the
screen and see what it would look like in each intermediate phase.  You
"capture" that area into a "shape" and just put it on top of the old image.
That's even better.  Of course, it's slow if the area is large.  Hence, you
want to diminish the area of the animation as far as possible.

Maybe that helps, I don't know much more.

Robert Hood - programmer

ProLine address: pro-gsplus!rhood

Doug Gwyn writes (concerning a C compiler for the Apple II):

By the way, I don't think it's worth worrying about the 8-bit Apples,
apart from possibly selling software to folks who still use them.
I had both available for several months and found I never had any
reason to want to use my old Apple //e instead of the IIGS.  (Well,
actually there were a couple of copy-protected games that didn't work
with the IIGS, but that's not pertinent.)

ORCA/C will be just about ideal when the bugs that plagued Release
1.0 are fixed.  Then it would certainly qualify as a "reasonable
ANSI C compiler" for the IIGS.

<end of quote>

The IIgs already has C compilers.  I know that, you know that, I think almost
everyone who's even thought about programming on the IIgs knows that.  The
question was whether or not there should be an ANSI C for the _Apple II_.  I
interpret "Apple II" to mean the 8-bits and "IIgs" to mean the GS.  The two
are separate entities.  There is no question as to whether or not there should
be C compilers for the GS; there already _are_.

Call me weird, call me old-fashioned, call me strange, but somehow I dislike
the idea of shifting all development emphasis to the GS while there are
millions of 8-bits out there with users that want new programs.  These people
aren't all going to upgrade - especially with the rather lengthy boot process
for GS/OS when I can get running under ProDOS 8 in a lot less time, as a MINOR
point.  Take into account economics and the stereotypical "//e workhorse" and
you'll see that there are going to be _a lot_ of 8-bits out there for a long
time to come.  As such, there'd better be some new programs for 'em!

Personally, I'm sick of "GS this" and "GS that".  Now, don't get me wrong; I
liked the GS as much as anyone when it came out.  However, with Apple's sorry
attitude toward updates for the GS, regardless of consumer input, I've started
to dislike what the GS stands for.  I admit that it has more programming power
than a //e.  I READILY admit that.  However, that's no reason to give up on
millions of people.  I remember the time when I wanted to get a GS as soon as
possible.  Then I got my Laser 128EX and realized what Apple was doing to the
Apple II line - including the GS.  Something's wrong when a third party can
come up with a 98% (or more) compatible computer - with more hardware! - for
LESS money.  Further, something is VERY wrong when Apple doesn't get the hint
and kick-start the Apple II line.

I've gone on about that long enough.  Basically, I see no reason to abandon
the 8-bits, and I think a version of C for the Apple IIe/IIc/IIc+ is long
overdue - as is a version of Pascal that will make ProDOS 8 executable files.