[comp.sys.apple2] GIF Convertors

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (03/29/90)

Are there and GIF convertors for the Apple IIgs besides SHRCONVERT?  I have a
couple pics that are either 640x350 or 640x400.  Unfortunately, I cannot
view the entire picture with any accuracy with SHRConvert.  If I use 640 mode,
I can only use 4 colors. The pictures look truly awful.  If I use 320 mode,
then the picture becomes twice as wide (no problem, just use 'compress
horizontal %50) but then the bottom 150 or 200 scan lines are destroyed.
SHRConvert only allows pictures one screen tall and two screens wide or
vice-versa.  Are there any GIF convertors that allow use of larger pictures
than this?  (Say, two screens widw and two screens tall?)  Then I could at
least compress the picture 50% in each direction to make the picture look
right.  Thanks...

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     These opinions are
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         warranted for 90 days or

rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) (03/30/90)

Re: GIF converter for IIgs (besides SHRCONVERT)

I use IIGIF, a GIF viewer for the Apple II series.  I have over 40 disks
(double-sided 5.25") full of GIFs, and IIGIF has at least let me take a look
at them!  :)  It automatically scales the GIFs to whatever graphics mode
you've chosen (HiRes or Double HiRes, B&W or color) and displays it for you.
You can, of course, adjust the scaling to "zoom in" or "zoom out" to some
extent, but this feature is rather limited.  Specifically, you can't zoom in
beyond 2:1 (horizontal) and 1:1 (vertical) resolution.  This can be a problem
in viewing some files, and I hope the author addresses this in a later
version.  Check around for it....

Robert Hood - programmer

ProLine address: pro-gsplus!rhood