[comp.sys.apple2] NeXTStep on //gs?

lbotez@pro-grouch.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (04/08/90)

>NeXT also said that they will make an Apple // 65816 series of NeXTStep
>(The NeXT's Window System which I found far better than Macs'.  Most people
>agreed except part of Mac People).  I don't know about you people, but I
>think that would be cool.

I find this really hard to believe.  Steve Jobs (rhymes with slobs... :-)  )
is so opposed to "backward technology" that I really can't see him having
anything to do with the Apple II.  Don't you remember how he hated it when he
was working on the Macintosh (pirate flag and all?).  It just doesn't sound
like him.

I could see something like a machine based on this new ASIC 65816 chip that
runs at 20 mhz and might emulate and Apple IIGS or something.  NeXT needs to
come out with a low-end computer (just like Apple).  While I was pretty
impressed with the capabilities of the NeXT, it's still unaffordable except to
businesses and perhaps Universities.  Hell, the machine as it stands doesn't
even have a floppy drive.  And why Jobs keeps coming out with "black and
white" technology in a color world is beyond me.

I guess we'll all have to sit by and wait to see what's "NeXT" (though I heard
there are three new CPU's coming out soon).

Lynda

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!lbotez
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!lbotez@nosc.mil
INET: lbotez@pro-grouch.cts.com