[comp.sys.apple2] How to interface Apple IIGS and Maxtor 760M drive.

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (04/08/90)

>Does anybody have any idea of whether I can interface a standard Maxtor SCSI
>drive (760M) to the Apple version of SCSI?  What issues will I face?  How
>will I low-level format the drive?  Will I be able to use the entire disk?
>As one partition or many?  Any help would be appreciated?

>P.S.  Who makes SCSI boards besides Apple and how do they compare?

ProDOS and GS/OS when using the ProDOS FST is limited to 32MB "volumes", so
that 760MB disk will have to be partitioned into 20+ "partitions".  I think
that the supported limit is more like 10 partitions.

There might be hope if Apple releases System Disk 6.0 with a HFS FST soon.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!samt
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!samt@nosc.mil
INET: samt@pro-europa.cts.com

jefft@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Jeff Tarr Jr.) (04/09/90)

I believe you can connect the Mactor drive to Apple's SCSI card with no
problem.  You'll have to use something to partition that down, obviosily, but I
think that the drive would work fine, as the limit on GSOS is 1024 megs...

To format it you'd have to use a 16-bit formatter, as Prodos 8 only recgonizes
64 megs per slot.  Advanced Disk Utility may be your best bet.

--Jeff
        Jeff Tarr Jr.. Sysop of the AppleSauce BBS [212] 721-4122...

America Online:  Klorn                     UUCP:  jefft@gnh-applesauce.cts.com

 * Sent by AppleSauce at Sun,  8 Apr 90 09:46:17

dbcrawford@pro-tcc.cts.com (Doug Crawford) (04/09/90)

SCSI is as SCSI does..You should use either an APPLE` scsi card or a CMS
scsi card, or Ohio Cache system makes a decent card too..All you need is a
SCSI utility program , and be able to define the drives parameters to volume
of 32 megs or less (the ole' prodos volume size bit)..Should be a piece of
cake..