[comp.sys.apple2] MacGS

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (04/09/90)

Someone posted a message on a local bbs after they had attended a
tri-state educators meeting where they were discussing the Apple II in
education with representatives from Apple.
Apparently, Apple is working on a low-end colour Mac and a MacGS which
will provide 'support' for the Apple II line (Note emphasis on Mac and
not the GS).
I'm not quite sure about the validity of this rumour, but if it is
true, it's really disturbing. This means that Apple is basically
saying that the Apple II line will be killed to be replaced by the Mac
line.
This is kinda stupid because it's gonna mean that more people are
going to switch to the Amiga or the IBM line rather than move to the
overpriced Mac line.
I wonder what that means for us GS users?
|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu        |||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			     |||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||
|UUCP    : uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||
|____________________________________________||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (04/09/90)

In article <1990Apr8.184538.8858@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) writes:

>I'm not quite sure about the validity of this rumour, but if it is
>true, it's really disturbing. This means that Apple is basically
>saying that the Apple II line will be killed to be replaced by the Mac
>line.
>This is kinda stupid because it's gonna mean that more people are
>going to switch to the Amiga or the IBM line rather than move to the
>overpriced Mac line.
>I wonder what that means for us GS users?

I can't validate the rumour for you, but from my boss's words, she told me that
Apple (or actually Mac Inc, read it whichever way you like) told her that
Apple is working on a Mac which is a "merge" of two machines into one.  I hate
this idea unless it's got the REAL processors, REAL slots, REAL hardware so
we can REALLY USE it (Mmm... sounds like an old friend of mine whose name's
"Apple //")

I am going the way to the NeXT unless Apple STOP fooling poeple, I am tired of
all these.

Yong Su, I think that means sooner or later your VERY NICE //gs is going to
be placed (forced to by Mac Inc) by a NOT SO NICE MacIIgs which might cost
you TWO fortunes.

--
cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/09/90)

I'll start by saying that such a machine is hardly practical.

Cost for benefit would be EXTREMELY high.

Most people would rather buy two machines if they REALLY need to use both.
(Unless desk space was in truly short supply.)

But the point is, most people DO NOT NEED THIS CAPABILITY and NOBODY
(especially not Apple) is dumb enough to try to make them pay for it.

A //e board is a real possibility, but I think that even that would be
too expensive for most people's purposes.

The real solution is to redesign a REAL low cost //e in surface mount and
with onboard stuff plus a few slots (a //c+ & //e hybrid).

The solution to the IIGS is my //f. (Fourth version coming soon. Really!)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu